Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> painting the black parts, other options?
914 RZ-1
post Sep 3 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Porsche Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

So I'd like to paint my car myself and I thought I would practice on the top, front and rear valences, and rocker panels first. I've sanded and painted small models, but nothing as big as a car. I'm taking them a few pieces at a time.

I've researched and seen the posts about the type of paint and getting the texture right. However, I'd like to use a spray gun, not a rattle can, since that's what I'd like to paint the whole car with and want to get a feel for using it. So, I'm thinking I'd get some sort of texture paint to apply the texture, then go over it with a spray gun.

1. What texture paint gives a finer texture:
a) Rustoluem Hammered
b) Line-X (seems like this is really thick and rough)
c) undercoating (is this the stuff made by VHT?)

2. What kind of paint can I spray over the texture coat for the final coat? I'd like satin black, but want it to last. The car is garaged, but I'd like something durable.

I do NOT want to do a gel coat and have to mess with having the gun spit out the right texture (like McMark did. That was bichin' paint job, by the way!).
I do not care if it matches the original perfectly, I just want a slight texture to hide the inevitable scuffs when I remove the top and put it in the trunk.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:11 PM