Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Starter/Ignition advice, Repair or Replace Ignition Harness
914_7T3
post Sep 4 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #1

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Need some advice regarding a ’73 2.0 D-Jet FI car. My shop will be starting an engine rebuild within the next few weeks. Everything will remain stock. I recently ran into a hot start issue and haven’t driven the car since.

It will start no problem right now, but not sure if it will fire up again after the engine gets hot. Essentially, there was full power and you can hear the pump start, but there was no crank. I would like to take the car to the LA Concours next weekend, but don’t want to get stranded.

The 12V coil is corroded and several of the wires have e-tape on them so the PO has already been in there. The wires appear to require trimming back and resoldering the ends to the connectors. I just had it running and jiggled one of the wires to the coil and the car stalled instantly. I also feel that due to age that the coil should be replaced straight away.

I am not sure where the wires from the coil actually run to. Is that part of the ignition harness that runs back to the starter?

The starter is also quite old and leads me to believe that it should be replaced as well. Furthermore, there is more e-tape along the wire that runs to the starter as per the attached pics.

Just want to know if I should consider a rebuilt harness from our resident 914World expert if re soldering the connectors and coil/starter replacement will take care of these issues.

Obviously, the goal is to have a clean and reliable running car upon completion. Please advise. Thanks.

Attached ImageAttached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 04:58 AM