Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Early vs late styles
andreic
post Nov 30 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,479
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hello,

I currently own a 1975 914 1.8L which has some rust (not a lot, but some) which is bothering me. I have the option to buy a very nice, almost completely rust free 1971 1.7L. If I buy it I would sell the '75, I can't keep two toy cars.

I am trying to decide if the disadvantages I know of (see below), and the ones I don't know of, of the early models, make up for the difference in rust.

Here is what I know is worse on the early models, please let me know if this is accurate, how important these issues are, and if there are other things I forgot about.

1) No sway bars -- does this affect handling a lot? I love the way my 914 handles, but I don't know if without the sway bars it will be the same.
2) Tail versus side shifter -- is this a big difference? I guess I could upgrade to a side shifter if needed, I saw the parts on craigslist all over.
3) 1.7L engine less powerful than 1.8L
4) No retractable seatbelts -- can one install the newer style?
5) Passenger seat does not move (for me that's not a biggie).
6) On the plus side, nicer bumpers on the early cars.

Please let me know what your experience is with these issues, and how important you think they are.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:29 AM