Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> oil temp & PSI drastic changes, give me some opinions
malcolm2
post Apr 11 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

OK here are the particulars

*1911 L-jet

*changed the oil 1000 miles ago. Have only used Brad Penn 20W50 since break-in, 41,000 miles in 5.5 years. I saw no puddle, but have yet to check the oil.

*Air temp today is 84*F

*Oil Temp was 230 *F interstate driving

*Oil Temp jumped to 260*F as I hit a few stop lights on the way home

*Oil Pressure was running over 30 on the interstate but dropped to just over 20 at 3000 rpm city driving.

I never remember OP being that low. Temp has only ever been that hot if the air temp was 95-ish and city driving. (with no other changes I know of)

THINGS I KNOW.

I recently adjusted the clutch cable. My free play is there, but probably too tight. The friction point is at about 1/2 pedal.

I can truly hear what I assume is the throw out bearing when I am idling in neutral Also a sign of tightness, correct?

I thought maybe the OP sender was getting a bad reading, but with the increase in temps, I guess not.

I am going to loosen the clutch at least one full turn on the nut on the cable and test drive. And check the oil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Could the throw out bearing cause that much heat? What else should I check?

As Always, thanks for your input.

Clark

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:53 PM