Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wiper Crank Assembly Refurb, Any way to disassemble?
dereknlee
post May 5 2020, 10:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,259
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Is it possible to disassemble the wiper crank linkage assembly?

On mine, one of the pivot shafts has rusted badly (chrome is all gone, bushing worn into an oval shape). The linkages themselves appear to be in okay shape - bit of corrosion that I'd like clean off and then have them re-plated. But it appears that all the joints are permanently riveted together.

Attached Image
(Sorry, didn't take a photo of the worst of it, just this snapshot to remind me how it all goes back together)

Search led me to this post where @Eric_Shea refinished an assembly to look better than new. Dumb question, but is it be feasible to plate the metal with the plastic bushings in place? Or would the plating process destroy the plastic?

As for the rusty wiper shaft, is this a standard item that might be able to find new or rob from another Volkswagen? I guess then I'd be looking at welding the shaft onto the link. Or should I just start the search for a better condition assembly?

Thanks,

-Derek
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 12:19 PM