Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Front Brake Question, Specifically Pushing the Piston Back In
Craigers17
post Aug 8 2020, 03:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

So I've got the car running pretty well, but as I was driving I noticed some front end vibration on the passenger side. Upon pulling the wheel, I noticed the hub is not turning completely freely....the pads seem to be rubbing.

I pulled the retaining pins, spreader springs, and removed the pads and piston retaining plate. Upon doing that, the hub has no slop/play, and the wheel spins very well. So, while I realize that I should ultimately pull the calipers and send them to PMB for a full rebuild(and probably will soon), right now I would like to only replace the pads, spreader springs, and piston retaining plate. While I'm sorting the car, I'm going on very short runs on very isolated roads.

Anyhow .....my QUESTION is related to the step in both the Pelican Article and Haynes Manual where it states "Now, using a plastic handle, or a piece of wood, push both the front pistons back into their housings. " This is step before re-installing the pads. I'll take a closer look today, but yesterday I didn't notice where the piston is protruding out very much into the space between the caliper and the disc....if this make sense. So, in this tight space, with the caliper still on the car, is there a specific tool/method of pushing the piston back in? Any techniques or tools to accomplish this task would be appreciated. Thanks!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:11 PM