Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Installing 914Rubber flat tow bar, any tips for getting it in place?
fiacra
post Nov 2 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

Thought this would be an easy task, but no..... I purchased the bar from 914Rubber in April 2019 and it has been sitting in the box since then. I pulled it out and was trying to put it on so I could flat tow to WCR. Tried to put it on my 1973 that was parked in my driveway, but couldn't get the holes to line up. Not even close.... Tried every trick I could think of (and bent a persuader in the process) and eventually all I could think of was the that body was flexed on my non-level driveway. So, I tried to put it on my non-running 1975 that is up on a scissor lift and while it fit better I still couldn't get all the holes to line up. At least on that car the only hole I couldn't get to line up was for the cover over the front of the A-arm and it is close enough so that I can potentially oval out the hole to get it to fit. I PMd Mark ( @mikey914 ) and as always he was super responsive. Apparently nobody else has had this problem, but he did offer to swap it out right away. Instead I just ordered another one since I have more than one car and I'd like to have this on all my cars. If that one fits, then the problem is this bar -- at least that is my reasoning.

So, anybody have any thoughts or tricks they can suggest? I can't get the 1973 up on the scissor lift as the 1975 is not running and there is no way for me to move it. Get the bar partially on and then try to flex the body with a floor jack to see if the holes will line up better? Anything the collective wisdom of this forum can come up with I'm willing to consider.

I have to head out for a few hours but I'll check back in later. I can take pictures then if that would be helpful.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 09:38 AM