Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Can't remove steering wheel, Steering wheel is stuck on the steering column and won't budge
mintyish
post Nov 11 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,235
Region Association: None

So - this is weird.

I have a '75 2 litre. With a Momo Prototipo steering wheel fitted - I presume with a non-Porsche hub to suit.

I first removed the wheel in 2012 to replace the upper column bearing that had broken up allowing the column to short out and blast the horn in the middle of The Castro in San Francisco...what fun! Hubby was not amused!

Anyway, the first time I removed the wheel it was really stuck on the column and I think I just ended up using brute force to get it off.

In July this year I removed it again to fit an electric washer pump switch - being a '75 I used the intermittent flick switch to trigger the pump relay - and the wheel slid off like a knife through butter...

This afternoon - wanting to remove the wheel to fit LED bulbs in the instruments - the wheel slides about 4mm up the splines on the column then stops dead - like its hitting a spring clip on the shaft. It's a definite metal sounding clunking stop.

I'm completely baffled. It will not budge an inch past the initial 4mm and I'm reaching the point of thinking I'll break something - so Ive stopped to consider what I've missed.

Any ideas?

Whilst I couldn't get the wheel off, I still managed to get the instruments out far enough to change the bulbs - and they work! Thank-you 914Rubber :-)

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 09:38 AM