Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Brake Flare Fitting - Part Number Request
9146C
post Feb 4 2021, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,460
Region Association: None

I've run into an issue with my brake re-assembly:

When I first bought my car (almost 20 years ago), I installed a set of stainless steel brake hoses at the same time I installed new calipers.

At the time, I do recall that these SS hoses were not DOT approved. Never had an issue in the time I drove them.

For my re-assembly, I've ordered new (DOT approved) SS brake hoses. When I went to install the new hoses, I found that the flare fittings that I have (that have been on the car the last 20 years) fit very loose onto the threads of the replacement hoses.

I initially assumed that the replacement SS hoses may have been manufactured with SAE fittings.

The Parts House informed me that the brake system was changed mid-year 1972...mine rolled down the assembly line in March of that year.

I knew that the front calipers and strut offset were changed late 1972, but, didn't know (and haven't read anything) that the brake lines/fittings were also changed that year.

I went and ordered a set of early (1970/71) FTE Brand rubber hoses. Those just arrived and I'm finding the same loose fit as I found with the replacement SS hoses.

Now that I've tested with two sets of replacement hoses (which are identical fits, btw), I'm starting to think that I must have changed the flare fitting to a metric/SAE adapter when I initially installed my original SS hoses. I don't recall that I did.

I've tried to locate a part number from the Porsche Diagrams...this flare fitting appears to be missing/unlisted from the parts diagram.

Question 1: Does anyone have a part number for the correct flare fitting? (Or a description of the male flare end...I realize the female end is a 10mmx1.0.)

Question 2: Can anyone confirm that the flare fitting was changed mid-year...are there 2 different part numbers for this flare fitting?

Unfortunately, I cannot attach an mp4 file to demonstrate what I'm trying to describe...the first photo is one of the eight flare fittings I have currently...the second photo illustrates what the fit looks like as the flare fitting is snugged up to the replacement FTE (early) rubber hose.

I'm thinking I must have the wrong fitting currently...looking for a part number to order the correct flare fittings that I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 09:45 AM