Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oh-Oh melted wiring, what have I done?
EJP914
post Apr 3 2021, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 821

Had not started the car (73 1.7 w/ FI) for about a month. Since new vacuum hoses and injectors seals are now on, I would give it a go. Turned the key, fuel pump buzzed like always. Turned the key to start and nothing. Starter did not turn. Turned key on and off about 3-4 times with no results. I look in the engine bay and Ive got smoke (not a lot) coming from around the distributor. Looking closer, I fried the black/purple wire connected to the neg side of the coil about 6" back from its connector and the wire inside of the distributor from the points to the condenser connection. Figured the points and condenser are toast and have installed new parts.
Before I try to start the car again and destroy anything else, any ideas on why this may have happened?
When I first started the car about 4 months ago after it had been sitting for years, someone suggested giving the starter solenoid a whack with a hammer. It actually worked.
That was my next move before I saw the smoke.
Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Pls confirm wire hook up to the coil. Black/purple to neg terminal and red/black to pos?

EJP914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:52 PM