Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Anti-roll bar questions, Rear sway but no front? Sounds crazy
MM1
post Mar 31 2022, 08:01 PM
Post #1

914 obsession continues

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

Over the years I’ve read here that for street/canyon carving the best set up for anti-rollbars (“sway bars” so I can type less) for 914 is as follows:

1.) Both front and rear (oem) sway bars

or

2.) Front oem and heavier springs (instead of a rear sway bar) for a 6 or 8 conversion

I recently purchased a V8 project and discovered that while it unfortunately has no front bar, there is a custom mounted rear sway bar which appears to use the OEM-style bar with a different connection/setup (probably to clear the exhaust and mufflers of the V-8).

Isn’t having no bar on the front and a sway bar in the rear completely backwards (potentially dangerous in the canyons) from what it should be? It sounds like this set up would make the car very difficult to turn in and it would still roll in the front. @Pete000 says I’d be better off disconnecting the rear until I can find the means and time to install an OEM front sway bar - I am inclined to agree with my “OEM Guru”. . .

I believe I have also read that with a heavier iron block V-8 conversion some prefer a thicker front bar than OEM. I don’t want the car to ride rough but I just would like it to handle as well as possible for a streetcar that will be primarily driven (spiritedly) in the canyons. Thoughts?

Brain trust, please grace me with your wisdom!

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:14 PM