Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another 'Classic' CptTripps Welding Story.
CptTripps
post Aug 7 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #1

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

As some of you remember, I had an..er...interesting time with a car I bought at WCC. ( http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=30092 ) ...here's the MWC story.

Let me start with an apology...there are no pics to go with this...you'll understand why in a sec.

So we're all set for the 'Run to Hell and Back' and I'm raring to go. I didn't get to drive the 'fun run' at WCC because...well...I didn't have a car out there. (Riding shotgun with Brando was fun though!) So I'm the third car in line...had a goox mix loaded into the iPod, had bottles of water, 2 Cigars, Money for ice-cream...let's go, let's go...

So off we go...map at my side, driving gloves on, stogy lit and the tunes jammin. This is where the fun starts...

About 20min into the 'run' and my accelerator pedal starts to feel REAL light. Hmm... My mind raced back to the earlier in the weekend when Gary and I re-did the linkage on my carbs. "Well, that must be it...just came loose." So I pulled over and to investigate. So there we are, 20min into it, and I'm pulled over...everyone thought that we were stopping to collect everyone, so 35 cars pile in behind me. I waved them all on, and went back to re-investigate the situation.

So there I am, by myself in the middle of rural Michigan, Saturday afternoon...and I find the problem. Ready...(drumroll)

The throttle 'key' from the passenger side carb SPLIT IN TWO. (This is the part I'm talking about.) Half was on the end of the linkage, the other half was on the carborator. After looking at it and pondering for a few min, I came to the realization that there is NO way to 'rig' the thing so I can limp home. I'm reaching for my phone to cal AAA, and I hear a guy behind me...

Guy: I live right up the street...need any tools?
Me: Naaa...I think I'm past tools and into welding at this point
Guy: My neighbor has a welder...want to go see if he's home?
Me: Really?
Guy: Sure...hop in, and bring your parts.

So we we're off to his neighbor's house to see if A: he was home, and B: Can I borrow his welder? About 5min later, we're at his doorstep, and sue enough...he's home.

Guy: I picked up a stragler, he broke down, and needs to borrow your welder to get back on the road.
Guy's Neighbor: No problem...do you know how to weld?
Me: I know enough to fix this. :: holding part up ::
Guy's Neighbor: Let's get you set up.

This is when Samson calls me.

Samson: You ok man?
Me: Yeah, I gotta run, but I'll call you in a sec.

So the 'Neighbor' (Scott) get's me set up with his Craftsman MIG, and 'Guy' (Gary) helps me get the parts clamped together and ready. 3min later, I'm welding it up, and things are starting to come together. (No pun intended.) After I was sure it was all 'one piece' again, I looked at my welds...

Me: Looks good enough to get me home.
Scott: I've got a grinder over here...you can clean it up if you want.
Me: Sweet.

So the end result was a DECENT weld-job on a part that would be IMPOSSIBLE to find. Gary gives me a ride back to the car, and it took about 30sec to get it fired up. Carbs weren't perfectly synched, but I wouldn't expect that they would be...but it RAN! right about then, I called Samson to see what was going on.

Me: Samson...I'm rollin again, where are you all?
Samson: You didn't get my message...we're doubling back to where you are.
Me: I'll see you in 2min then.

I shook Gary's hand, thanked him profusely, and was ready to roll. about 30sec later, and I start seeing teeners headed towards me. I jetted into a driveway, and jumped back into line. The best part? My cigar was still lit...

Special thanks to Gary and Scott. You guys saved my ass.

So there you have it gang....another 914 meet, and another CptTripps welding story. Guess I oughta just bring one with me next time.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 09:21 PM