Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil shooting out tailpipe after sitting for years.
tornik550
post Jul 17 2023, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

I have a /6 conversion. My engine is a fairly fresh rebuild and has about 500 miles on it. The engine runs extremely well. In 2020, I knew I wasn’t going to be able to have fun with my 914 for a long time so I changed the oil and all the other winterize stuff then packed the car away. Unfortunately cause of all the modifications, I don’t know exactly how much oil my car requires so I filled up the oil tank until oil registered on the dipstick. I was not able to work on the car so I couldn’t get the engine up to temp to check the warm oil temp.

So now that it’s 2023, I’m back and I went to start my engine. It started right up. Ran great right off however it was spitting black oil from the tail pipe. I let it run a little, decided to drain a little oil, thinking that maybe it was overfilled a little. It stopped spitting oil.

Everything runs super well, oil pressure is good. At temp I get a little smoke from exhaust however that just seems to be the oil burning off that was in the exhaust. I also get a little bit of oil smoke from the oil catch can filter.

When the engine is hot, I tried to check the oil and no oil shows up on the dipstick. I’m afraid to add more oil however afraid to drive without oil registering on the dipstick.

Any ideas of how I can verify my oil level?

Any idea as to what would have cause the oil to spit from the exhaust? (My theory- too much oil or Oil leaked past the rings while sitting for long period)

Any idea what would cause the smoke from the oil catch can?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 07:37 AM