Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> doing a six..., help me stay single...
DrifterJay
post Sep 22 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #1

I break stuff...

Group: Members
Member No.: 737
Region Association: None

Ok after figuring the costs of doing my 4 cylinder badassmother fucker rebuild I figured for an extra 3 grand I could do a "six change..." (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) . It is where I wanted my project to end up someday, so I am gonna jump the gun and just do it...I have nearly all the parts for the 5 lug and cool brake shit, so I am mostly covered there. Right now I am focused on the drivetrain. The engine will be a 2.2 T . The engine is a nice good runner needing carbs and a dizzy....already has upgraded carrera chain tensioners and the turbo valve covers. Right now this is what I think I need:

Carbs...duh if possible I will wait and source a set up rebuilt zeniths or weber 40s...if not I will bite the bullet and buy some 40mm PMOs....Awesome complete kit, can use on a bigger motor down the road, just expensive..thats all..

Header and muffler...thinking bursch rusto headers with a ceramic coating from the local vw shop...and some patrick motorsport megaphones to be cheap and loud....

Oil Tank....not sure yet which stuff I need...oe reproduce from vellios or a race tank? Any advantages or disadvantages of either?

Any special wiring or harness modifications...I have no clue yet as to what is entailed

firewall engine mount...

muffler hanger...easy...modded 2ltr...

shift rod mod...easy...

engine oil cooler outlet mod, explain this one, I have no clue

lines...what do I need, anyone make a kit for this with them already made?

6 tachometer...

Dizzy...from what I understand you can only use a distributor from that particular model and if you were to mod the engine (E cams, S heads, whatever), you have to have them recurved? Any good source from rebuilt dizzys, or simple plug and play modern ones?

Also would someone mind explaining the whole ignition setup for me? All I understand are simple type4...dizzy, coil, plugs. Explain the whole CD box and whatever else is entailed...

Ok here goes my really stupid question: Where would the filter be located on an engine with a race tank, with the pictures I have seen, I have concluded the the oil filter is mounted on the OE tank. With a race tank, would it be mounted on an external unit, such as when relocating the filter on a bug...I have never touched a six in my life...

So would someone educate me a little...give me some pros and cons to what I am thinking...Am I missing anything vital? Thanx for the help...7 weeks till I come home!... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
-Jared

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
DrifterJay   doing a six...   Sep 22 2005, 01:21 PM
Crazyhippy   1st and foremost, thank you for serving http://w...   Sep 22 2005, 02:24 PM
DrifterJay   thanx guys for the advice...keep it flowing!   Sep 22 2005, 02:56 PM
DrifterJay   what about the fuel pump? can my current carbed fa...   Sep 22 2005, 03:04 PM
Root_Werks   The little plastic or little metal sqaure ones won...   Sep 22 2005, 03:07 PM
J P Stein   Take that combat pay and just buy one that's a...   Sep 22 2005, 03:24 PM
goose2     Sep 22 2005, 03:40 PM
JOHNMAN  
  Sep 22 2005, 04:57 PM
DrifterJay   read all 18 pages this morning...well morning for ...   Sep 22 2005, 04:59 PM
Maltese Falcon   Jared-when you are ready for the exhaust headers (...   Sep 22 2005, 09:45 PM
pete-stevers   And I might ad they are great lookin headers I wil...   Sep 22 2005, 10:01 PM
rick 918-S   No advice, just sayin hey!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:31 AM