Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Introduce myself-and some questions, the new guy
scottz0369
post Oct 7 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,894

Howdy!
I'm new to the 914 world--this seems like a great forum, so I'd thought I'd introduce myself.
My father-in-law just gave us (my wife and I-but my wife isn't nearly as thrilled as I am!) his 914.
It's a 72 1.7. He bought it new in 72 in Long Beach, CA The good stuff is that it's been garaged for the past 33 years here in northern CA (Los Gatos). It's 99% bone-stock and in great shape--the only rust I can find is surface stuff, and the interior looks brand-new. It has 77k on the clock.
The only change ever done to the car was a few years ago--the FI had a small fire so he scrapped the FI system and had it set up with dual Webers (40's if I'm reading the engraving at the base of the carbs right) by a racer-shop up here. Looking at the engine compartment, I can't tell there was a fire there. He was lucky.

Some short-term questions-
I'm getting ready to move to 29 Palms, CA. Anything special I should know about driving this in the high-desert?

It could use tires (it's on its second set ever)-can I stuff 195's on the stock steel wheels without much drama?

It has the stock radio. Will a standard DIN go in easily, or will I have to modify the dash to make it fit?

Longer term questions-
Long term this is my daily driver and I plan on making this my daughters car (she's 8 now). Between now and then I want to set it up for AX and keep it street-legal. I'm planning on getting her into AX (I used to be with my GTI in the '80s--what fun!).
If y'all had to set up a 914 like this for AX and keep it street legal/daily driver, what mods would you make? I'm going to make a wish list, hang it up in the garage, and for the next 8 years, she and I will build "her" car.

Any input appreciated!

Scott in CA
GySgt USMC
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
scottz0369   Introduce myself-and some questions   Oct 7 2005, 07:43 AM
Grimstead   Welcome aboard! http://www....   Oct 7 2005, 07:54 AM
736conver   I dont have help on your questions but congrats on...   Oct 7 2005, 07:57 AM
mikelsr   <...   Oct 7 2005, 11:49 AM
Brent   <...   Oct 7 2005, 11:56 AM
BMartin914     Oct 7 2005, 12:34 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:36 AM