Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I know I'm making this harder than it needs to be!, Timing Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
computers4kids
post Apr 15 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

OK, I've got my vaccumm advance plugged and my timing light hooked up with the inductive lead on cylinder 1. I've read the pelican article on timing and it contradicts my Clymer shop manual. Pelican says you time a 1.8 at 800-900 rpm at 7.5BTDC, while 1.7 and 2.0s you time at 3500 rpm. My manual says its 3500 rpm for all 4s??? Which is it??

Secondly, I'm having a difficult time finding TDC. With the cap off I've rotated the engine until the rotor is pointing at the TDC notch on the distributor. The marks on my housing/pulley are not to be seen. Is it suppose to be near the one flatten blade on the fan? Yes, I rotated the engine 180 degrees as well.

Does this picture look like I've got the right idea for finding 7.5 BTDC?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
computers4kids   I know I'm making this harder than it needs to be!   Apr 15 2006, 03:58 PM
Porsche Rescue   This might help   Apr 15 2006, 04:11 PM
Bleyseng   for a 1.8l it should be 7.5 degrees   Apr 15 2006, 05:28 PM
Aaron Cox   you really need to be looking. the marks tend to b...   Apr 15 2006, 07:13 PM
computers4kids  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 07:21 PM