Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> buying car just for engine?, is this nuts?
mightyohm
post Sep 30 2003, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have noticed that there are usually a few 74-76 cars around that have 2 liter engines but are in pretty sad shape otherwise. Because of this they sell CHEAP. I am starting think about maybe picking one of these up just to steal the 2.0 and then sell off what is left. Who has done this and how did it work out?

The obvious risks I can see are:

1. If the rest of the car is in bad shape, the engine is probably in disrepair also.

2. A lot of times they are not running or not drivable and thus there is no way to test the engine health before buying.

3. In my understanding 73 2.0s are the best, 74s are almost as good with not as much vacuum advance (easily fixed), but 75-76 have smog ports to plug etc and will probably be in bad shape from being run hot all their lives.

3. Getting rid of a POS car with no engine probably sucks and takes forever. Even if I put my 1.7 into it to sell it I bet it will still be a PITA.

All I want is the 2.0, tin, fuel injection, and harness. Anything else useful is gravy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:39 PM