Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> BMW Brake upgrade, couple of questions
wilchek
post Jul 22 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,177

I installed my BMW calipers along with new hard lines, stainless hoses, and porterfiled r4s pads. The car feels better now and I can lock up the front brakes.

So for my question: when I changed to the new calipers I can no longer use the locking plate for the caliper bolts for the BMW calipers (caliper is in the way). Little plate with tabs that you bend over to stop the bolts from coming out. So what should I use. Lock washer etc. any ideas. See pic below for plate. It goes on like a washer and you bend the little tabs hanging off the end over the edge of the bolt

Couple of things I found out. The brake shield needs to be bent slightly to fit the calipers. It is easier if you disconnect the old caliper and let it hang from the hose as fluid will keep coming out otherwise. Takes time to get the new lines set up and rebend the short hard line. A 6" line is all that is needed for the caliper to hose. (I bought 8", looks like a big S now). Speed bleaders rock. They worked just as advertised. well worth the 12 bucks for a pair. http://www.speedbleeder.com/ You just back the bleeder out 1/2 turn and pump the brakes. The bleeder has a one way ball bearing and spring inside that only lets air and fluid out. Once you are done pumping the brakes until no air comes out, just tighten the screw and you are done. Easy one person bleed job.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
wilchek   BMW Brake upgrade   Jul 22 2006, 07:54 PM
SLITS   Drop some blue loctite on them or if you are hardy...   Jul 22 2006, 08:26 PM
wilchek   that is what I was thinking, I have some red layin...   Jul 22 2006, 08:31 PM
SLITS   It should....   Jul 22 2006, 08:37 PM
So.Cal.914   Can you use tin snips and trim them to fit? I woul...   Jul 22 2006, 08:38 PM
wilchek   no way to trim, the piston splits the two bolts. ...   Jul 22 2006, 08:49 PM
grasshopper   get you a piece of thin aluminun and make one that...   Jul 22 2006, 08:51 PM
So.Cal.914  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 05:26 PM