Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Compression results, maybe not good news?
EJP914
post Aug 11 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 821

Just had mechanic give me results of compression test on my "73 1.7.
#1 100 psi
#2 120 psi
#3 120 psi
#4 150 psi
He is recommending valve job. I realize the readings are all over the place, but is this guy right?
Car was in for valve adjustment, small miss at 2800 RPM, and backfire under decell. Timing and fuel mixture were adjusted. Backfire is still there, but not too bad. Still not smooth accel at 2800 - 300 RPM.
During last oil change, I noticed some black soot around the left exhaust pipe on the cylinder head. Can't remember if it was the front or rear cylinder.I suspect small exhaust leak. Would this leak have any bearing on the compression reading for that cylinder?
I would appreciate any and all comments on the valve job recommendation and your thought on the compression readings.
Thanks for listening!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
EJP914   Compression results   Aug 11 2006, 08:04 PM
George H.   i don't have answer for you but you don't ...   Aug 11 2006, 08:07 PM
Flat VW  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 12:54 PM