Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hotrodders, I need your help and advise, mods needed for high hp engine
tomkirkcis
post Nov 23 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,064

I need to bounce my situation off some of you guys for your advise. I have a 1970 914-6. It was a California chassis and has ZERO rust, and no evidence of any collision damage. Great chaiss. The chassis has been stiffened with both the factory GT style stiffening kit and Engman chassis kits Although it does not have a cage or tube reinforcement the tub is very stiff. The trailing arms are boxed. It has a 901 NON limited slip sideshifter. I presently have stock calipers, konis and tend to use mild springing (140 lb rears) on threaded perches and adjustable sways set on the stiff side to deal with the perfectly smooth NOT backroads in New England.The roads are great sports car venues but ROUGH. The car has stock appearing fiberglass bumbers lid and has had the sound deadienng stripped, so it is fairly light. I was told the original 2.0/6 failed under warranty and the dealer installed a 2.2 T motor as the replacement. The car sits on 205R50's on deep 6 x 15 Fuchs on all four corners.

With that said, The car is driven for recreation on the street . I haven't recently but may resume a PCA drivers ed or two a year. I do not auto x anymore. The car does not have flares and appears stock.

The 2.2T ran very strong for a 2.2T, But it was a bastard non original motor, so whats would be the harm in looking for a LITTLE more horsepower. I was thinking along the lines of a 2.4S, 2.7RS or 3.0SC motor

A freind of mine happened to have an engine sitting on the shelf that I have lusted after for years. Timing is everything and I now own a 3.2 short stroke rsr type motor with ALL the tricks . Twin plug, 11:1 compression Mahles, GE60 cams, ported and polished big valve heads, 46 webers etc . When I drove his 911 with this engine it pulled like crazy to, and revs past 8000 rpm with ease. The bark is absolutely incredible.

Although I love 914 GT s, I do not want to install flares. I like being a sleeper.I have ruined the ego of many a young gearhead thinking the 914 was an easy victim when it just had the 2.2 in it.

I would like to try R spec 7"s on all corners and a very slight roll to install more rubber. I would have the rear rotors changed to vented and just wident eh 914/6 calipers with spacers. (need the Handbrake for inspection sticker) I would change fron struts to 3.5 inch spacing and use a set of alumium S calipers I have. I would prefer not to change the springing to much because of the condition of the roads here. I would use the side shifter gingerly until I found an appropriate 915 or g50 with lsd. I would need to think about a remote cooler(s) that would hopefully not cause the stock look to disappear.

Does anyone have experience with 300hp motors in the type of chassis I am thinking of? Would it be drivable with a stock look chassis or Am I kidding myself?.

I welcome recomedations/ comments on the brakes, suspension gear box choice, ratios, wheels and tire fitment. The headers from my 2.2 are obviousoly not going to work, any thoughts. Thank you

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:34 AM