Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bolt in race trailing arms, R&D
BMXerror
post Dec 3 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,842

Hey all. I've been with the club for a bit, but I'm new to the Paddock. I would like to do some racing, hopefully by next year sometime (money is the limiting factor of course). Anyway's, my brother who does various forms of fabrication and I are designing a set of trailing arms with adjustability for toe-in and camber built in. After shortly browsing the Paddock, I found that people are doing this for their own cars already, but nobody seems to sell them.
To the point, my brother and I were thinking of prototyping with my car, and then producing them for sale once we get the product all sorted out. Before we invest in that, however, I want to know if this is something that people would be interested in. We have to know that there's a market, if only a small one, for these before we start producing them.
Our idea was to have something that can just be bolted up in the stock mounting points for simplicity. They'd be made from watercut and boxed flatbar, and they'd probably be drilled and dimple-died for lightweight and strength. As previously stated, they'd have full camber and toe adjustment built in, but would probably be set to factory spec by us for simplicity's sake. We'd have them powdercoated as well.
That's the basic idea, but we also have a couple question on what people would want. For example, what brakes do most racers like to use. Should we bracket it for SC calipers, turbo calipers, 964 calipers, or should we just leave it stock and leave any conversion to the customer. Also, what stub axles do most racers use? This is actually a subject that I don't know much about. I don't know what model year 911s are the same or if ANY are compatable with the 914. This of course affect which CVs you can run and what bearing carriers we'll have to use, so I would like to get the racer's input on this.
I know that this post is rather irregular. Maybe there's a demand for something like this, and maybe not. I won't be cheap, of course, because of all the labor involved, but our goal is to make it as simple for the customer as possible. It should be just a bolt up job. This is why I'd like to get your input and see what brakes and stub axles you prefer, so that we can make it as easy as possible on the customer and, well, sell more to be honest. Any input on whether this is a good or bad idea AND WHY is also appreciated, so please speak up. I hope to hear from you.
Mark D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
BMXerror   Bolt in race trailing arms   Dec 3 2006, 01:57 PM
J P Stein   That's a fine idea, but..... A properly done t...   Dec 3 2006, 04:15 PM
BMXerror  
  Dec 5 2006, 04:23 PM
914forme   Trek All the arms I have seen bend do it in a way...   Dec 4 2006, 04:13 PM
Brad Roberts   I have raised the suspension points in 3 cars now....   Dec 4 2006, 04:27 PM
Racer Chris  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 05:18 AM