Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SOT: 914 heat exchanger technology applied to the home, Heat for free!
bondo
post Dec 9 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Our house has electric heat, which gets expensive to actually use. We have a fireplace, but it doesn't have an outside source for combustion air. The result is that whenever we have a fire, the living room gets warm, but the bedroom actually gets COLDER because cold outside air is being drawn in by the fire.

The solution to this problem was to build a heat exchanger to sit at the back of the fireplace. Air gets bown through it and then plumbed to our bedroom via PVC pipe. The air comes out of the exchanger at about 140 degrees, and by the time it gets to our bedroom it's about 85 degrees (bigger drop than I expected, but whatever).

In case you're wondering, the PVC pipe is rated at 90 degC and we have a CO alarm in our bedroom in case something goes wrong.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
bondo   SOT: 914 heat exchanger technology applied to the home   Dec 9 2006, 10:51 PM
biosurfer1   I'm a HVAC engineer and this is a first for me...   Dec 9 2006, 11:05 PM
firstknight13   good idea BUT co alarm won't save you from the...   Dec 9 2006, 11:05 PM
Aaron Cox   wrong on soo many levels..... :wacko:   Dec 10 2006, 12:53 AM
Britain Smith   If you are married, I can't believe the wife l...   Dec 10 2006, 02:00 AM
SirAndy  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 01:20 PM