Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT - Audi A4, loose tie rod ends - how dangerous?
scruz914
post Dec 23 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,724

I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro with 160k miles. With the front end on jack stands and the tire off there is obvious play in the tie rod ends. The rubber boot is also damaged and it looks like the socket is dry.

I know the tie rod ends need to be replaced, and I will probably replace the control arms too due to known issues with the OEM design. But, I will not be able to replace them until next weekend.

We are headed up to Sacramento and then Tahoe for the Holidays (600+/-) miles round trip. Am I taking a risk driving the Audi with the loose TREs? I realize there are a lot of variables as well as other issues like alignment, etc. I am hoping that someone knowledgeable with this condition may be able to either comfort me or categorically tell me to park the car until repairs can be made.

Another question is: Should I put some grease into the rubber boot to add a little lubrication to the socket?

Thanks.

-Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 09:30 PM