Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Audi A4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro with 160k miles. With the front end on jack stands and the tire off there is obvious play in the tie rod ends. The rubber boot is also damaged and it looks like the socket is dry.

I know the tie rod ends need to be replaced, and I will probably replace the control arms too due to known issues with the OEM design. But, I will not be able to replace them until next weekend.

We are headed up to Sacramento and then Tahoe for the Holidays (600+/-) miles round trip. Am I taking a risk driving the Audi with the loose TREs? I realize there are a lot of variables as well as other issues like alignment, etc. I am hoping that someone knowledgeable with this condition may be able to either comfort me or categorically tell me to park the car until repairs can be made.

Another question is: Should I put some grease into the rubber boot to add a little lubrication to the socket?

Thanks.

-Jeff
Joe Bob
That stuff is pretty cheap....fix it right.

Make sure to have it aligned.....
ws91420
QUOTE(scruz914 @ Dec 23 2006, 10:07 PM) *

I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro with 160k miles. With the front end on jack stands and the tire off there is obvious play in the tie rod ends. The rubber boot is also damaged and it looks like the socket is dry.

I know the tie rod ends need to be replaced, and I will probably replace the control arms too due to known issues with the OEM design. But, I will not be able to replace them until next weekend.

We are headed up to Sacramento and then Tahoe for the Holidays (600+/-) miles round trip. Am I taking a risk driving the Audi with the loose TREs? I realize there are a lot of variables as well as other issues like alignment, etc. I am hoping that someone knowledgeable with this condition may be able to either comfort me or categorically tell me to park the car until repairs can be made.

Another question is: Should I put some grease into the rubber boot to add a little lubrication to the socket?

Thanks.

-Jeff

Replace ASAP You don't know for how long they have run dry. I had a guy who drove down I-95 only to have the tie rod fail in the parking lot of a local resturant. Imagine if that had happend on a major commuter interstate that people run 70 - 80 MPH on. Any time you mess with front end parts you should get an alignment done.
scruz914
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 23 2006, 07:10 PM) *

That stuff is pretty cheap....fix it right.

Make sure to have it aligned.....

Yea, the total cost to replace the control arms and TREs both sides is $500. An it should be an easy job to yank everything out and put in the new parts. But I have to wait until after our Christmas travels before I can make the repair.

I plan on an alignment right after the new parts are in.

-Jeff
ejm
I would avoid the highway until they have been replaced. If it still has the aluminum ends I would hesitate to drive it at all if there is play. Your car may have had a recall on the tie rod ends but if it was already done and they are shot again you are on your own. All the replacement ends were steel. Most of the control arm issues involved creaking noises. For $500 the kit should include the updated sway bar links.
scruz914
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 23 2006, 07:31 PM) *

I would avoid the highway until they have been replaced. If it still has the aluminum ends I would hesitate to drive it at all if there is play. Your car may have had a recall on the tie rod ends but if it was already done and they are shot again you are on your own. All the replacement ends were steel. Most of the control arm issues involved creaking noises. For $500 the kit should include the updated sway bar links.

The TREs and control arm are original. I looked closer and the rubber boot is split at the top but still plyable. I peeled it down and could see that there is still grease around the ball joint so it didn't go dry.

I plan on ordering the Febi control arm kit from ECS Tuning. I appears to include the sway bar links.

-Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.