Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - Audi A4, loose tie rod ends - how dangerous?
scruz914
post Dec 23 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,724

I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro with 160k miles. With the front end on jack stands and the tire off there is obvious play in the tie rod ends. The rubber boot is also damaged and it looks like the socket is dry.

I know the tie rod ends need to be replaced, and I will probably replace the control arms too due to known issues with the OEM design. But, I will not be able to replace them until next weekend.

We are headed up to Sacramento and then Tahoe for the Holidays (600+/-) miles round trip. Am I taking a risk driving the Audi with the loose TREs? I realize there are a lot of variables as well as other issues like alignment, etc. I am hoping that someone knowledgeable with this condition may be able to either comfort me or categorically tell me to park the car until repairs can be made.

Another question is: Should I put some grease into the rubber boot to add a little lubrication to the socket?

Thanks.

-Jeff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Dec 23 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

That stuff is pretty cheap....fix it right.

Make sure to have it aligned.....
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Dec 23 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(scruz914 @ Dec 23 2006, 10:07 PM) *

I have a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro with 160k miles. With the front end on jack stands and the tire off there is obvious play in the tie rod ends. The rubber boot is also damaged and it looks like the socket is dry.

I know the tie rod ends need to be replaced, and I will probably replace the control arms too due to known issues with the OEM design. But, I will not be able to replace them until next weekend.

We are headed up to Sacramento and then Tahoe for the Holidays (600+/-) miles round trip. Am I taking a risk driving the Audi with the loose TREs? I realize there are a lot of variables as well as other issues like alignment, etc. I am hoping that someone knowledgeable with this condition may be able to either comfort me or categorically tell me to park the car until repairs can be made.

Another question is: Should I put some grease into the rubber boot to add a little lubrication to the socket?

Thanks.

-Jeff

Replace ASAP You don't know for how long they have run dry. I had a guy who drove down I-95 only to have the tie rod fail in the parking lot of a local resturant. Imagine if that had happend on a major commuter interstate that people run 70 - 80 MPH on. Any time you mess with front end parts you should get an alignment done.
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Dec 23 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 23 2006, 07:10 PM) *

That stuff is pretty cheap....fix it right.

Make sure to have it aligned.....

Yea, the total cost to replace the control arms and TREs both sides is $500. An it should be an easy job to yank everything out and put in the new parts. But I have to wait until after our Christmas travels before I can make the repair.

I plan on an alignment right after the new parts are in.

-Jeff
+Quote Post
ejm
post Dec 23 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #5

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224
Region Association: None

I would avoid the highway until they have been replaced. If it still has the aluminum ends I would hesitate to drive it at all if there is play. Your car may have had a recall on the tie rod ends but if it was already done and they are shot again you are on your own. All the replacement ends were steel. Most of the control arm issues involved creaking noises. For $500 the kit should include the updated sway bar links.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Dec 23 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 23 2006, 07:31 PM) *

I would avoid the highway until they have been replaced. If it still has the aluminum ends I would hesitate to drive it at all if there is play. Your car may have had a recall on the tie rod ends but if it was already done and they are shot again you are on your own. All the replacement ends were steel. Most of the control arm issues involved creaking noises. For $500 the kit should include the updated sway bar links.

The TREs and control arm are original. I looked closer and the rubber boot is split at the top but still plyable. I peeled it down and could see that there is still grease around the ball joint so it didn't go dry.

I plan on ordering the Febi control arm kit from ECS Tuning. I appears to include the sway bar links.

-Jeff
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:47 PM