Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Getting my 1st one this week!
Cevan
post Dec 26 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,351

I'm picking up my first 914, a '74 1.8. I'll be the 3rd owner. The guy I'm buying it from bought it in 1976. He's had it stored the last 4 yrs in a barn. He says he hasn't started it in over 2 yrs. I'm trying to figure out how to tackle this project. My goal is to do as much of the work myself and then have my autobody guy finish the body work and paint it.

I'm getting the car cheap so if it turns into a parts car, that's fine. I think my 1st step is to remove the seats, carpeting, door sills and really investigate the rust situation. The car has typical rust in the rockers, the driver's fender is dented. The trunks are rust-free. There is a rust spot next to the inside of each door latch (not sure if this is bad or really bad). The battery tray has rust holes in it, but below looks good. The shock towers in the rear trunk are mint. The FI is there. Looks like no mods of any kind. Original Delphi Green paint.

Assuming the car is restoration worthy, I'd like to try and get the engine running and see how it shifts. If I can do that, then I'd probably start going thru the brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, suspension, etc.

Does this make sense? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:31 PM