Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT - Dog Training For Dummies, I posted this on Rennlist but thought you might like it too.
soloracer
post Mar 2 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 538

have a little story to share:

I have a 4 year old German Shepard named Riley who I haven't been able to take to regular training classes because he is overly aggressive towards others canines. Around people he is great but as soon as he sees a dog it's rumble in the jungle. You really don't know how many barking dogs are on TV shows or commercials until you have a dog that responds to every one of them.

Riley knows some commands such as "Sit" and "Stay" but doesn't always respond, especially when he is preoccupied with something else. He got out of his dog run once and went running around the acreage which was actually quite frightening because he doesn't come when called and I live next to a busy highway plus my neighbors have livestock. I was thinking he would take off and who knows what would happen to him. It wasn't until he found something interesting in the woodpile that I was able to walk up to him and grab his collar to put him back in the dog run.

So I hire "Bark Busters" to come in and help me train him. Liz with Bark Busters came in for 3 hours the first day and spent 2.5 hours with me and .5 with him - guess I know where the problem lies. Apparently Riley knows what he is doing. She gave me us some basic exercises to do and I was told that he is currently the lead dog. I have to show passive dominance over him in the house so that he will obey more frequently. Liz said that Riley has me figured out and knows how to get what he wants from me. She said that I have to change his routine to get him off balance (ie: feed at different times in different places, etc.) and that I should never let him do what he wants to do.

So with this in mind I start the training. Off the start the change in routine was showing signs of success in that Riley was not sure what to do and paying much more attention to me.

However the other day something interesting happened. I came from work and as soon as we entered the house Riley started pestering me to be fed. I figured "You know what, I'm going to eat first and you are going to wait" so I went and made myself dinner. Riley was nudging me, running up to his dog dish and coming back all the time dinner was being made. I ignored him and eventually told him to lay down which he did. I then decided to go downstairs and eat on the sofa in the media room while watching a little TV. So downstairs I went, Riley right on my tail following me to the sofa. When I sit down he starts pestering me again. I tell him sternly to "Lay Down" and he submits and lays at the foot of the sofa. I start eating my dinner and watching TV proud of my new found control. After about 15 minutes Riley perks up. His ears go up and he looks towards the front door - which is just up the staircase from where I was sitting. He keeps listening and suddenly lets out a loud "BARK" - which from a 100 lb German Shepard in a closed space is nearly deafening. He sprints out of the room and up the staircase.

Not knowing what got him all fired up I decide to investigate and put my plate down on the sofa. I follow his trail up the staircase and sure enough he is waiting for me in the front porch. As soon as I get there he takes off back down the stairs. I follow him down and by the time I get to him he already has a mouth full of my dinner!! He set me up!! After I got over the initial anger I had a laugh at that. Now I know why I'm not winning this war......he's smarter than me

Just thought the dog owners here would get a laugh out of that story.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
soloracer   OT - Dog Training For Dummies   Mar 2 2007, 12:09 AM
Twystd1   My chick did the same thing...... To ME...!...   Mar 2 2007, 12:15 AM
zymurgist   LOLZ! :rotfl: Dogs are so good at training...   Mar 2 2007, 06:00 AM
mudfoot76   Hilarious!! We don't give dogs as mu...   Mar 2 2007, 07:47 AM
jasons   I guess thats what you get for thinking you out sm...   Mar 2 2007, 07:10 AM
spunone   My Dog must have a twin   Mar 2 2007, 10:23 AM
sean_v8_914   NO. do not laugh unless you want a life sentence o...   Mar 2 2007, 12:35 PM
sean_v8_914   PS. I have an Austrailian cattle dog that tests me...   Mar 2 2007, 12:43 PM
majkos   PS. I have an Austrailian cattle dog that tests m...   Mar 3 2007, 10:23 AM
davep   Let me give you a little advice, don't stand i...   Mar 2 2007, 01:14 PM
PORobinSCHE   MY #140 GSD KODA   Mar 2 2007, 02:22 PM
LvSteveH   That's a great story, but don't give up. ...   Mar 2 2007, 02:23 PM
soloracer   When it comes to feeding him I have control. Ever...   Mar 2 2007, 03:49 PM
davep   Yes, a lot like kids. However, none of the dozen m...   Mar 2 2007, 04:02 PM
spunone   Heck this thread is better than most rust repair o...   Mar 2 2007, 05:41 PM
72914S   You must be the Alpha dog.My father told me about ...   Mar 3 2007, 09:45 AM
sean_v8_914   fred is point and shoot, easy to teach. I should d...   Mar 4 2007, 01:53 AM
soloracer   I had thought about agility as well but x-rays sug...   Mar 4 2007, 12:01 PM
914-8   Great story! Dogs are awesome. Their faces ...   Mar 4 2007, 12:06 PM
majkos   Great story! Dogs are awesome. Their faces...   Mar 4 2007, 12:15 PM
tyler   Three suggestions (worked for my dobermans): 1. Wa...   Mar 5 2007, 12:54 PM
soloracer   Here is a story regarding the shock collars and Ri...   Mar 5 2007, 01:56 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:15 AM