Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Funky Hazard Light Symptoms, Any ideas as to what is causing this?
kfieler
post Aug 15 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #1

kfieler

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,949

Attached Image

As pictured, this is the inside of a hazard switch from a 1973 914. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a third spring and electrical contact inside this switch (see arrow). It looks like there is room for one here, but there wasn't one when I opened this switch.

Why did I open the switch, you ask?

I have a really strange problem with my hazard lights...

When the ignition switch is turned on and the hazard switch is pushed all the way in, the flasher relay clicks and the hazard lights on the dash flash on and off (very dim). If I operate the left or right turn signals, I get one quick flash of the signal and then back to the dim flashing of the hazard lights.

If I pull the hazard switch out EVER SO SLIGHTLY, the flashing stops.

When the switch is pulled all the way out, the hazard lights operate as expected and with full intensity.

I started troubleshooting by pulling, inspecting and cleaning the flasher relay. After re-installing the relay, I had the same problem (dim flashing hazard lights when they are supposed to be OFF)!

I then opened the hazard switch. It was a real mess - inside and out and was caked with some foreign "sticky stuff" (as if it had been soaked in Coca-Cola and left to dry)!

I thoroughly cleaned the switch and polished all inside and outside connectors.

I re-installed the hazard switch and still have the same problem!

Does this sound like I have a bad flasher relay or do I have a problem with my hazard switch?

One last thing... I did have the steering column (including the turn signal and wiper switch assy's) torn-apart in order to replace a defective starter switch. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

Thanks for your help!

- Keith

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 04:06 PM