Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Electric 914 has resonant frequency at 5400 RPM, Could the motor/transmission have a bent shaft?
TimK
post Dec 21 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #1

Electric Vehicle Nut

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,170
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here's a real corker of a problem that I'm completely stumped on. Any input or experiments to try would be most welcome. Just a warning: it's a rather long post...

I recently converted a 914 to an all-electric vehicle and everything works beautifully except for the whole car shakes nastily at 5400 RPM. I've been trying to figure this one out for months now.

You can see the whole electric vehicle conversion process (including a transmisison rebuild) at 914ev.blogspot.com. Most of my more recent posts, especially those in September, document all the experiments I went through to isolate the issue.

My last experiment went like this: I removed the friction disk out of the clutch and attached the electric motor to the transmission so that the only moving parts that touched the input shaft of the tranny was the pilot bearing in the flywheel. I put the transmission in gear so that the input shaft wouldn't turn (or at least I'd see it on the CV joint couplings). After spinning the electric motor (attached to flywheel) up to 5400RPM, the whole assembly rattled nastily and skittered across the floor like a hockey puck in slow motion.

Here's the confusing part. I acquired another "broken" transmission that had no oil in it and put that on instead. Again, the input shaft won't spin and the only thing it touches is the pilot bearing in the flywheel. I can spin this assembly up to 8000 RPM and get no rattling whatsoever.

The only measurable difference between the two transmissions is that the first one (that I rebuilt at home) has a runout on the input shaft of about 10 mils (10 thousandths of an inch). The "broken" transmission has only 2 mils of runout on the input shaft. The Porsche specification for the runout is 3.9 mils.

This leads me to the possible conclusion that (1) the rebuilt transmission has a bent input shaft or (2) there are loose parts that hit a resonant frequency of 5400 RPM inside the rebuilt transmission.

Since the non-functional "broken" transmission has no resonance, I'm planning on buying a transmission rebuilt by a real mechanic (not me) and see if that resonates. Still, until that arrives, I'm looking for other experiments I could try. Perhaps I could take the input shaft out of the "broken" transmission and put it in the home-rebuilt transmission and see if the runout goes away and the vibration with it.

Any suggestions or experiments to try are welcome. Thanks!

Cheers,
Tim

p.s. The photo below shows the 914 in the garage with the electric motor (replaced the engine) attached to the home-rebuilt tranny on the left with the "broken" tranny on the right.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:20 AM