Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Suspension Suggestions, I have searched, but, looking for more specific info
jetboy
post May 21 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #1

914 Uber Noob

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,810
Region Association: Southern California

First off, I am a 914 and a mechanic NooBie. I am more used to my suspension on my heavy 4dr hatchback and trying to get the teener to handle closer to or better than my daily driver (toyota matrix).

I recently bought my first 914 and its a '73 1.7l. Its as far as i can tell just stock suspension without sways. Doesn't appear to really have any sagging, so, i don't really see much that is worn out (again, i know little about working on cars so i wouldn't really know how to tell if it was worn out). It is sitting on 195/60 15 touring tires (pretty flexy sidewalls). With this settup i notice some "floating" when jerking the steering wheel back and forth in a straight line and body roll with the rear end breaking loose at about 55mph on a 30mph turn (best way i can gauge the handling).

Now my question.
I'm wanting to make the handling more neutral. Could this be done with just uping the torsion bar rate (maybe a 19 or 21) without a front sway and then increase the rear spring to about 140lb? I think some more performance oriented tires would help with this too. Im looking for streetabilty with increased performance. My grocery getter (mind you, I am very used to the handling of my matrix which is lowered with coilovers and settup pretty neutral for a heavy fwd 4dr hatch) can take this corner at about 65mph before even thinking about pushing (which happens before oversteer with her).

I am sure that the teener can do better than this, Im just not sure where to start. Anyone got any ideas? And, if there is anyone in the Riverside, Ca area that knows about setting up the suspension wanna get together over some coffee or eats and chat about 914s sometime... feel free to send me a PM and we could set something up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:24 PM