Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Saving weight in late model doors
moggy
post Aug 31 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,285

Hi guys

Looking to save some weight out of the late doors (i.e. the ones with the iron gurder in). I already have perspex windows. I can't go fibreblass due to regs. I don't want to put early doors on there as this would mean finding a good set over here in the UK (which is a problem) and then having to spray them up - a route I really wanna avoid. Therefore I need to lighten the doors I've presently got on the car. I also need to keep the winder mechanism. Is it even possible to cut that impact bar out of the door without having to cut all the winder mounts out of the door and/or the cutting/grinding affecting the paint on the outside of the door (wanna avoid getting the spray gun out if I can help it).

Now I could just start attacking it- this is my usual practise - however before I do I though it would be a good idea to find out from all you racers how (or if) you've lightened a set of late model doors before. Any pictures of them lightened up so I can follow in your footsteps.

Also, whats the best method for removing all the crappy tar from the floor? any tips. Tried to get some off today, couldn't see any obvious easy ways to do it. Looks a real messy and long job. How much weight does this actually save anyway, after all that hassle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:28 AM