Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Car cutting out, Now FIXED -thanks!, Looking forward to meeting up at the Ramble
Doug Leggins
post Oct 11 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 261
Region Association: None

This one has me puzzled. My car runs absolutely great most of the time. Has good drivability around town in stop and go traffic. Is a freakin blast in 3rd gear at 4500 – 5000 RPM though the twistys. It normally runs just like it should in any gear at any RPM. But... it has developed this nasty habit of cutting out at random times. It first occurred back in July when I was driving to the Porsches to Oxford event. I left my house and had been driving along for around 25 minutes, I was cruising along at about 50 miles an hour and it cut out and sounded like it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders. I pulled into a lot and feathered the throttle. It sputtered for 5 seconds or so and then started running fine, just like it should run. I shut the car off and it started right back up like nothing had happened. I got back on the road to Oxford. About one and a half hours later it did it again. This time I was driving around at about 30 mph. It sputtered, kept running poorly for about 5 seconds (again sounding like it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders). I feathered the throttle a few times and it came right out of it and started running fine.

This type of cutting out is still randomly occurring. It will sputter for 5 seconds or so and then come out of it. Or, sometimes the feathering of the throttle will not bring it out of the sputtering and it will die or I will shut it off. It will usually start back up after cranking on the starter for 6-8 seconds (That kind of cranking that seems like winding the car up and eventually it builds up enough desire that it starts.) Usually it starts up and sounds like its running on 1-2 cylinders. After this type of “wind it up” starting 2 or 3 times, it will start up and be running just fine. Then back on the road....

I haven’t been able to determine any pattern other than it will continue to happen until I fix something.

The details of what I am working with: 2056 built by Jake some years back, dual Weber 40’s, Mallory Uni-Lite distributor, Facet Fuel pump, MSD 6AL.

Here’s what I’ve done so far: replaced the fuel filter, installed new facet fuel pump, installed new Aurora plug wires ( I had them and thought maybe it would help), sync’d the carbs. I bought carb rebuild kits but haven’t rebuilt the carbs yet. Thought I’d check with you all for other ideas before I rebuilt the carbs.

Any ideas on what could be causing the cutting out?

Oh yea, one more thing that occurred 2 times tonight while test driving. The car backfired out of the exhaust 3-4 times in rapid succession in about a second or two. Then the car ran just fine after that.

I sure could use some help on this one. I can’t drive it like this to the Rocket City Ramble.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:20 AM