Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shop for major transmission rebuild?, (in LA area)
jrmole
post Dec 3 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #1

Torque is cool!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,752

Hi all,

I've recently gotten my 914 running under battery power! 200 miles on it so far, up to 70 MPH without topping out. I've got several electrical issues on the low voltage side, but my biggest issue is vibration from the transmission. With the little electric motor instead of the larger gasoline motor, vibrations in the transmission at about 3,700 rpm tries to shake the car apart. Given how quiet the car is at lower speeds, I really want to fix this problem.

I am looking for a shop around LA that can do the following:

Minimum:
- Rebuild the transmission/differential to make it quieter (the gears whine loudly, especially when down shifting)
- Try to balance the parts to minimize vibration
- Grind the teeth off the flywheel (no starter)
- Balance the flywheel (attached to the electric motor)

Goal:
- Drop the gear ratios*
- Dynamically balance the motor/flywheel

Any advice?

Thanks.

* At 70 mph I was still in 3rd gear so I don't need the upper gears much, but it is hard to start quickly on steep hills with the weight of the batteries (~1,000 lbs of lead). If I drop all the gears such that the current ratio in 3rd becomes fifth and then drop the others accordingly, I can drive it as a 5 speed and have much better torque on steep hills.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 11:34 PM