Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Correct Early Ball Joint Hardware, And a big thank you - to you
zeezee
post Mar 28 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,651
Region Association: Northern California

First - Thank you!
I would have stopped working on this car long ago if it wasn't for the folks here. 914World has been my oracle for my fun/damn car. And thanks to those that repeat the same thing over and over again in different threads. It is very helpful, when searching and when trying to understand the problem.

Second - the early ball joint / strut bolt:
I suspect my car has hit several curbs or the like. While there is little body damage, I have found a cracked/deformed A-arm, a ball joint that was pulled out of the strut, the other ball joint pin was bent. And both bolts mounting the ball joints to the struts were bent or broken.

The bolts were SAE 8.8 - threaded all the way up the shank.
I thought - This can't be right - silly PO!
German enginering would have used a hardened bolt (SAE 10), with a solid (no threads) shank - threads on the last .5 inch.

But, when I got my replacement hardware - it was ... SAE 8.8 - full thread bolt.

Is this correct???

The old "good" bolt (the other was broken in half):
Attached Image

Ball joint pulled out of strut:
Attached Image

A small alignment/safety problem?
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:08 AM