Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stereo size and location questions..., Any thoughts??
914zim
post Mar 4 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #1

Still pretty clueless...

Group: Members
Member No.: 962

Hey guys:
My 914 has the original stock(?) AM radio in its usual place (not connected) and the glove box insides were removed and a newer/better stereo was mounted inside. I think this was a cool idea, but the glove box door could not be closed with the stereo mounted (not so cool - loose station presets).
Anyway, the stereo is kaput (my bad - it was old anyway) and I 'd like to keep this idea going but be able to keep the (new) stereo in the glove box at all times and be able to close the glove box door too. The problem is, there isn't a lot of depth in there. I'd guess I'd need a stereo that is only about 5" deep in order to make this work. There needs to be room for the wiring and antenna connection.
I've been searching everywhere for a decent 5" deep stereo, but can't seem to find one anywhere. I'd be looking to spend as little as possible ($150?) for this stereo, but if I found one that was 5" deep and would fit I might spend a little more.
So, here's the big question: Anyone ever seen a stereo that was only 5? deep? Do you think they even make them that shallow? I've checked JCW and ebay already - no luck.
If I can't find one, I just might restore the glove box back to the way it was, remove the stock AM radio and put a deeper stereo in that spot. I'm pretty sure there would be enough depth in that spot. Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Andy...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
914zim   Stereo size and location questions...   Mar 4 2004, 12:33 PM
tat2dphreak   none are that shallow that I've ever seen... a...   Mar 4 2004, 12:38 PM
rick 918-S   Fabricate a DIN acceptible sheet metal bracket tha...   Mar 4 2004, 01:01 PM
MarkV   I think there is more than 5 inches. Until recentl...   Mar 4 2004, 01:05 PM
Rouser   I would restore the glove box to its original stat...   Mar 4 2004, 04:13 PM
914zim   Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'm lean...   Mar 5 2004, 07:03 AM
vsg914   A new stereo "should" come with the necessary moun...   Mar 5 2004, 07:15 AM
Joe Ricard   Put stereo in glove compartment. Could lock it re...   Mar 5 2004, 11:36 AM
tat2dphreak     Mar 5 2004, 03:01 PM
Rouser   I'm telling you ... the radio install/swap int...   Mar 5 2004, 03:54 PM
tat2dphreak     Mar 5 2004, 04:16 PM
Britain Smith   I just recently installed an older Kenwood CD play...   Mar 5 2004, 05:07 PM
Chris914n6   OK, a few notes- the hole in the dash is DIN. no c...   Mar 5 2004, 08:52 PM
tat2dphreak  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 12:59 PM