Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> HELP! What Do I Look For in Fuchs 2L Alloys?, Not condition nor Finish - But How Important Is Mfg Date & Matchin
Tom_T
post Jul 2 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Okay All you CW Experts -

After looking at a number of wheels available out there, I REALLY need some CW input on what I need to look for in a "proper" set of the Fuchs 2L Alloys - before I spend a bunch of bucks on the wrong thing!

I do know that my early-1973 914-2.0 ("914S" - sorry Pat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) was supposed to have been delivered with a full compliment of 5 Fuchs 2L Alloys, along with the rest of the Appearance & Performance Groups' optional equipment - as were ALL 1973 MY 2Ls based upon my research.

But when I bought mine in 12/75 38+/- months old, it had been stripped of them & had/has 4 Rivieras & steel spare (possibly a cheaper way out of the recalls below for the dealer?). Now that I'm restoring it, I want to get another set of 5 2L Alloys - & preferably in or restored to a condition in which the car could be shown.

One complicating factor, was that my VIN was under the BO/BH Recall during the early part of the 1973 MY for 914s delivered up to Dec. 1972, such that dealers could have taken off the "wrong Alloys" lacking the center hole inset ring for the "new for `73" self-centering front hubs with which the car was shipped from PAG. The recall letters from VW/Porsche\Audi to dealers, which I found at Jeff Bowlsby's 914 SIG website, states that the dealers should replace them with steel wheels temporarily if no proper fitment alloys were available - until such later date as the alloys were available from VW/Porsche at a later date.

Ergo - if mine had been one built at the factory with the wrong alloys, had them temporarily replaced with steelies, then later replaced with later manufactured proper alloys - then those mfgr dates on the wheels would not have matched the car's build date anyway!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

So - How important - if at all - is it for me to get:

1. A Mfgr. Date stamped on the back which is either:
.......A. Just within the 1973 MY ?? - &/or
.......B. dated at or prior to my 9/72 build date or 11/9/72 sale date??

> or is any year okay? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

2. How important is having ALL 5 Wheels Matching from the same car &/or with the same Mfgr. Date stamp, etc.??

> or is it okay to get them 1-5 at a time from various sources & not matching???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Others here have already clarified for me that they were supposed to be a full set of 5; & the proper finish as a satin or matte anodized background with semi-polished "windmill blades" & rims! THANX MUCH!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

DECEMBER 1972 MAGAZINE AD FOR THE "914S" (914-2.0):

Attached Image

CLOSE UP OF AD TEXT FOR "914S" (914-2.0):

Attached Image

DETAIL FROM EARLY 1974 PORSCHE 914 SALES BROCHURE SHOWING WHEELS & OTHER INCLUDED OPTIONS ON THE "914S" (914-2.0):

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:12 PM