Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1971 914-4 shifting problems, Can't shift into 2nd or 4th gear
dhkieffer
post Jul 24 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,605
Region Association: None

Prior to installing new bushings on the shift rods, shifting was very sloppy and one had trouble finding gears but they were all there (all 5 forward gears and reverse).

After installing all new bushings and adjusting linkage for Reverse and 1st gear, I discovered that I could only shift into Reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th gear. No matter how hard I tried, I could not find 2nd or 4th gear. The only adjustments on the shift rods is to lengthen the rod at the inspection hole under the console.

In adjusting the shifter, I placed the shifter in neutral and against the left stop (but not pushing against the spring. Next I made sure that the selector at the transmission was in neutral and centered in its throw. I then tightened the collar in the inspection plate under the console. I then started the car and tried shifting through the gears. Was easily able to find Reverse, 1st, 3rd, and 5th. When I put it in 1st and tried to shift up into 2nd, the car would not move. Also the same happened when I put it in 5th and then tried to shift into 4th, the car would not move no matter how hard I pushed up on the shifter lever.

What could be the problem?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:33 PM