Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 914-4 shifting problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhkieffer
Prior to installing new bushings on the shift rods, shifting was very sloppy and one had trouble finding gears but they were all there (all 5 forward gears and reverse).

After installing all new bushings and adjusting linkage for Reverse and 1st gear, I discovered that I could only shift into Reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th gear. No matter how hard I tried, I could not find 2nd or 4th gear. The only adjustments on the shift rods is to lengthen the rod at the inspection hole under the console.

In adjusting the shifter, I placed the shifter in neutral and against the left stop (but not pushing against the spring. Next I made sure that the selector at the transmission was in neutral and centered in its throw. I then tightened the collar in the inspection plate under the console. I then started the car and tried shifting through the gears. Was easily able to find Reverse, 1st, 3rd, and 5th. When I put it in 1st and tried to shift up into 2nd, the car would not move. Also the same happened when I put it in 5th and then tried to shift into 4th, the car would not move no matter how hard I pushed up on the shifter lever.

What could be the problem?
geniusanthony
linkage sounds to be a bit out of adjustment. or perhaps theres a bind. go over your work and see that you didn't leave something half done or out of adjustment.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dhkieffer @ Jul 24 2009, 01:52 PM) *

Your method of adjusting ...

You can also rotate the rod, not just the forward/backward adjustment. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it just right.

I usually pick either 2nd or 3rd to make the initial adjustment and then fine-tune from there ....
popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
rick 918-S
First; welcome.png

Second; thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

And third; Your car is a71 so I assume it's a tail shift unless you converted it to a side shift. I have custom linkage but it's still hard linkage. (not a cable shift conversion)

I always center my shifter in neutral and move it to the right. Then there is a pinch clamp on the tail shift linkage in the tunnel. I loosen the pinch clamp and adjust the rotation and forward aft travel where the shift rod and tube slide together.

Clear as mud. And check the cone screws. They have been know to come loose. Ask me how I know.
dhkieffer
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Jul 24 2009, 10:32 PM) *

linkage sounds to be a bit out of adjustment. or perhaps theres a bind. go over your work and see that you didn't leave something half done or out of adjustment.

Thank you. I had hoped that it was just tweaking of the adjustment and not some other issue. smile.gif smile.gif
dhkieffer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 25 2009, 01:57 AM) *

You can also rotate the rod, not just the forward/backward adjustment. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it just right.

I usually pick either 2nd or 3rd to make the initial adjustment and then fine-tune from there ....
popcorn[1].gif Andy

Thank you for your prompt response. I was hoping that this was the case. I was getting frustrated so I walked away and to research the issue. From your response and several others I received I just have to do some tweaking with the adjustments. smile.gif smile.gif
dhkieffer
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 25 2009, 05:51 AM) *

First; welcome.png

And third; Your car is a71 so I assume it's a tail shift unless you converted it to a side shift. I have custom linkage but it's still hard linkage. (not a cable shift conversion)

I always center my shifter in neutral and move it to the right. Then there is a pinch clamp on the tail shift linkage in the tunnel. I loosen the pinch clamp and adjust the rotation and forward aft travel where the shift rod and tube slide together.

Clear as mud. And check the cone screws. They have been know to come loose. Ask me how I know.

Yes it is still the stock rear shifter. All the cone screws are tight. Also I am at son-in-laws and do not have a digital camera handy for pics. I had become frustrated with not being able to get it adjusted correctly. At first I only had Reverse, 1st and 5th. With more adjusting I was able to add 3rd. I needed to step back and do some researching and to ask others what their thoughts were. The result from everyone is that I just need to keep on tweaking the adjustments. smile.gif smile.gif
markb
welcome.png

It sounds like the shifter is not pushing the rod far enough rearward to get it to engage. Loosen the bolt on the shifter-to-rod (under the console) and hold the rod in place while moving the shifter further forward on the shaft. I think that will do it (unless I've got it totally backward in my head, which is possible).
dhkieffer

Thank you for your help. Problem is solved by a 1/4 - 3/8 adjustment in the linkage. We now have all 6 gears working perfectly. bye1.gif bye1.gif
dhkieffer
QUOTE(dhkieffer @ Jul 26 2009, 09:08 AM) *

Thank you for your help. Problem is solved by a 1/4 - 3/8 adjustment in the linkage. We now have all 6 gears working perfectly. bye1.gif bye1.gif

Thank you for your help. Problem is solved by a 1/4 - 3/8 adjustment in the linkage. We now have all 6 gears working perfectly.
dhkieffer
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 25 2009, 07:41 AM) *

welcome.png

It sounds like the shifter is not pushing the rod far enough rearward to get it to engage. Loosen the bolt on the shifter-to-rod (under the console) and hold the rod in place while moving the shifter further forward on the shaft. I think that will do it (unless I've got it totally backward in my head, which is possible).

Thank you for your help. Problem is solved by a 1/4 - 3/8 adjustment in the linkage. We now have all 6 gears working perfectly.
dhkieffer
QUOTE(dhkieffer @ Jul 25 2009, 06:15 AM) *

First; welcome.png

Yes it is still the stock rear shifter. All the cone screws are tight. Also I am at son-in-laws and do not have a digital camera handy for pics. I had become frustrated with not being able to get it adjusted correctly. At first I only had Reverse, 1st and 5th. With more adjusting I was able to add 3rd. I needed to step back and do some researching and to ask others what their thoughts were. The result from everyone is that I just need to keep on tweaking the adjustments. smile.gif smile.gif

Thank you for your help. Problem is solved by a 1/4 - 3/8 adjustment in the linkage. We now have all 6 gears working perfectly. smile.gif smile.gif
dhkieffer
QUOTE(dhkieffer @ Jul 25 2009, 06:15 AM) *

First; welcome.png

Thank you for your help. Problem is solved by a 1/4 - 3/8 adjustment in the linkage. We now have all 6 gears working perfectly. beerchug.gif
dhkieffer
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 25 2009, 07:41 AM) *

welcome.png

Thank you for your help. Problem is solved by a 1/4 - 3/8 adjustment in the linkage. We now have all 6 gears working perfectly. beerchug.gif
dhkieffer
QUOTE(dhkieffer @ Jul 25 2009, 06:04 AM) *

Thank you. I had hoped that it was just tweaking of the adjustment and not some other issue. smile.gif smile.gif

dhkieffer
QUOTE(dhkieffer @ Jul 25 2009, 06:08 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 25 2009, 01:57 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif Andy

Thank you for your prompt response. I was hoping that this was the case. I was getting frustrated so I walked away and to research the issue. From your response and several others I received I just have to do some tweaking with the adjustments. smile.gif smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.