Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Took a Little Trip to SLO This Weekend, Sorry, no pics...
ericread
post Jul 26 2009, 01:41 AM
Post #1

The Viper Blue 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

Well, my son and his wife have officially moved to San Luis Obispo (SLO), CA. So I thought I'd take a little trip to see their new diggs.

I left Irvine, CA about 2:00 pm on thursday, traveling up the 405 to the 101, which takes you through Malibu, Santa Barbara, and on up to SLO. As I went through LA on the 405, it was in the mid 90's. But by the time I hit Malibu, the coastal air was down to the mid 60's! All in about a 25 mile driving range. I hit the usual traffic around Malibu and Santa Barbara and as a result of road delays due to crashes (not mine), it took me about 5 hours to arrive in SLO, which is about 265 miles from my home in Irvine.

Returning on Saturday, I left SLO about 4:00 pm and arrived back in Irvine at 8:00 pm. 265 miles in four hours after fighting through the SB, Malibu and LA traffic - not too bad!

Ok, here's the notes:
1. Lots of Hiway Patrol cars on the 101. If you decide to travel this way, keep you speed down to the low 70's.
2. It gets hot inland, and pretty cool at the ocean edge. Be prepared for both.
3. Although SLO shows a high of around 80 degrees each day, the fog rolls in at night and gets mighty cool.
3. There are a number of pretty steep and long hills to climb on this trip, so make sure your teener is running well before you attempt such a trip. Although I kept a close eye on my oil temp and CHT gauges, I never experienced any serious temp issues.
4. Keeping my speed to the mid 70's, my 2.0L '74 teener got 30.8 miles per gallon! (YAY!)
5. There are lots of wineries areund SLO, and it is absolutely a beautiful area.
6. I saw several teeners tooling around SLO. And a bunch of Alpha Romeos.

Eric
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:17 AM