Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition Disassembly and Steering Column, Bearing Replacement
Nor.Cal.914
post Oct 8 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #1

1975 914 3.0SC

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,523
Region Association: None

My steering column had a bunch of slop in it so I decided it was time to replace the bearing. I bought the bearing and the repair sleeve from Pelican. If I am replacing the bearing, is it necessary to put in that sleeve? Or is the sleeve just a temporary fix for when the bearing gets slightly sloppy? Also, how does the ignition assembly come apart from the steering column on a '75? I have the steering column apart already and the metal sleeve that houses the ignition and the column bearing is out of the plastic portion covering it. I am now trying to figure out how the ignition assembly comes out of that metal sleeve! How does the ignition come apart from that sleeve? Please let me know. Thanks!
-Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Oct 8 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,568

Chris, Insert your ignition key and twist it as if starting the car, the keyed portion will slide right out. The electrical part is held into the metal sleeve by a small phillips head screw. As for the sleeve, I wouldn't think you'd need it if you're replacing the entire bearing assembly. I installed a repair sleeve and it took care of all the slop in mine, which is a '75 also.
Mike

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 8 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

The insert is a PERMANENT fix, you don't need the bearing unless it's trashed. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Nor.Cal.914
post Oct 10 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #4

1975 914 3.0SC

Member No.: 3,523

Cool! I'm going to check out the ignition tonight. And as for the bearing, the one in the car had a repair sleeve already in it so I removed it and the bearing. The bearing was extremely rough spinning and it had a ton of slop. I pressed on the new bearing with my hands and there is absolutely no slop now! It feels so much more connected to the road, it's awesome!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks for the info on everything guys, I will get back to you about the ignition after I go check it out. Thanks!
-Chris
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Oct 11 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #5

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

.........And if you can go with the metal insert
not the plastic! my suggestion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
and you have it all apart??......use the bearing!
hang-on to the old one(spare)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:09 PM