Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Disassembly and Steering Column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nor.Cal.914
My steering column had a bunch of slop in it so I decided it was time to replace the bearing. I bought the bearing and the repair sleeve from Pelican. If I am replacing the bearing, is it necessary to put in that sleeve? Or is the sleeve just a temporary fix for when the bearing gets slightly sloppy? Also, how does the ignition assembly come apart from the steering column on a '75? I have the steering column apart already and the metal sleeve that houses the ignition and the column bearing is out of the plastic portion covering it. I am now trying to figure out how the ignition assembly comes out of that metal sleeve! How does the ignition come apart from that sleeve? Please let me know. Thanks!
-Chris
Kirmizi
Chris, Insert your ignition key and twist it as if starting the car, the keyed portion will slide right out. The electrical part is held into the metal sleeve by a small phillips head screw. As for the sleeve, I wouldn't think you'd need it if you're replacing the entire bearing assembly. I installed a repair sleeve and it took care of all the slop in mine, which is a '75 also.
Mike

Cap'n Krusty
The insert is a PERMANENT fix, you don't need the bearing unless it's trashed. The Cap'n
Nor.Cal.914
Cool! I'm going to check out the ignition tonight. And as for the bearing, the one in the car had a repair sleeve already in it so I removed it and the bearing. The bearing was extremely rough spinning and it had a ton of slop. I pressed on the new bearing with my hands and there is absolutely no slop now! It feels so much more connected to the road, it's awesome!! biggrin.gif Thanks for the info on everything guys, I will get back to you about the ignition after I go check it out. Thanks!
-Chris
Drums66
.........And if you can go with the metal insert
not the plastic! my suggestion idea.gif
and you have it all apart??......use the bearing!
hang-on to the old one(spare)

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.