Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition Cylinder Restoration, Need advice on disassembly
xperu
post Oct 10 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #1

TEXAS

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,213
Region Association: None

I want to restore my innition cylinder, removing the key assembly part has me puzzled. Any help out there, maybe I should bring it to a locksmith? Thanks Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 10 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Pretty much straight forward. Remove lower dash pad. Unplug, wiper, lights and ignition plugs. Remove steering wheel marking its location in relation to shaft. Remove 4 screws holding wiper,turn signal switches. Go to front trunk and disconnect washer pressure from tire. Bleed off pressure. Go back and gently pull wiper, turn signal switches up. Disconnect hoses noting where the one with the orange stripe goes. Hoses may break on you. Once the assembly is clear. Two screws hold switch in. Turn ignition switch and pull up. Switch assembly will come out. Go ahead and replace electrical portion of switch while you have this out. It is held in place with small cone screw.

Lock assembly is held in place by a spring that has to be pushed in with small screwdriver and pulled up with key in place. Remove assembly and clean. Any good cleaner will release 30 + years of grease and gunk. This will restore your lock assembly.

Questions: Call me 830-755-4755
+Quote Post
xperu
post Oct 11 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #3

TEXAS

Member No.: 6,213
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 10 2009, 08:17 PM) *

Pretty much straight forward. Remove lower dash pad. Unplug, wiper, lights and ignition plugs. Remove steering wheel marking its location in relation to shaft. Remove 4 screws holding wiper,turn signal switches. Go to front trunk and disconnect washer pressure from tire. Bleed off pressure. Go back and gently pull wiper, turn signal switches up. Disconnect hoses noting where the one with the orange stripe goes. Hoses may break on you. Once the assembly is clear. Two screws hold switch in. Turn ignition switch and pull up. Switch assembly will come out. Go ahead and replace electrical portion of switch while you have this out. It is held in place with small cone screw.

Lock assembly is held in place by a spring that has to be pushed in with small screwdriver and pulled up with key in place. Remove assembly and clean. Any good cleaner will release 30 + years of grease and gunk. This will restore your lock assembly.

Questions: Call me 830-755-4755

Thanks Mark, the explaination over the phone made all the diference, again thanks so much. Mike
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:26 PM