Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Cylinder Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
I want to restore my innition cylinder, removing the key assembly part has me puzzled. Any help out there, maybe I should bring it to a locksmith? Thanks Mike
914Sixer
Pretty much straight forward. Remove lower dash pad. Unplug, wiper, lights and ignition plugs. Remove steering wheel marking its location in relation to shaft. Remove 4 screws holding wiper,turn signal switches. Go to front trunk and disconnect washer pressure from tire. Bleed off pressure. Go back and gently pull wiper, turn signal switches up. Disconnect hoses noting where the one with the orange stripe goes. Hoses may break on you. Once the assembly is clear. Two screws hold switch in. Turn ignition switch and pull up. Switch assembly will come out. Go ahead and replace electrical portion of switch while you have this out. It is held in place with small cone screw.

Lock assembly is held in place by a spring that has to be pushed in with small screwdriver and pulled up with key in place. Remove assembly and clean. Any good cleaner will release 30 + years of grease and gunk. This will restore your lock assembly.

Questions: Call me 830-755-4755
xperu
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 10 2009, 08:17 PM) *

Pretty much straight forward. Remove lower dash pad. Unplug, wiper, lights and ignition plugs. Remove steering wheel marking its location in relation to shaft. Remove 4 screws holding wiper,turn signal switches. Go to front trunk and disconnect washer pressure from tire. Bleed off pressure. Go back and gently pull wiper, turn signal switches up. Disconnect hoses noting where the one with the orange stripe goes. Hoses may break on you. Once the assembly is clear. Two screws hold switch in. Turn ignition switch and pull up. Switch assembly will come out. Go ahead and replace electrical portion of switch while you have this out. It is held in place with small cone screw.

Lock assembly is held in place by a spring that has to be pushed in with small screwdriver and pulled up with key in place. Remove assembly and clean. Any good cleaner will release 30 + years of grease and gunk. This will restore your lock assembly.

Questions: Call me 830-755-4755

Thanks Mark, the explaination over the phone made all the diference, again thanks so much. Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.