Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternator Bearings, Double shielded vs. doubled sealed
ScooterD
post Oct 15 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #1

ScooterD

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,589
Region Association: None

Being the cheap SOB that I am and not needing a new alternator at the moment, I am rebuilding a spare that I had lying around.

The factory uses double shielded bearings where the shield does not actually contact the rotating part of the bearing, there is actually a small gap on the circumference. The 914 pumps air through the alternator via the fan shroud and over time pumps dirt into the bearings. Has anyone used doubled sealed bearings that actually have a rubber seal that rubs on the rotating part of the bearing and keeps the dirt out? Also the factory bearings have a C3 designation for use at elevated temperatures where the internal clearances are greater so they don't seize up. Any experiences you want to share would be appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Scott

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ericread
post Oct 15 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #2

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

Your best bet is to purchase a new alternator...

Eric (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 15 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ScooterD @ Oct 15 2009, 07:50 PM) *

Being the cheap SOB that I am and not needing a new alternator at the moment, I am rebuilding a spare that I had lying around.

The factory uses double shielded bearings where the shield does not actually contact the rotating part of the bearing, there is actually a small gap on the circumference. The 914 pumps air through the alternator via the fan shroud and over time pumps dirt into the bearings. Has anyone used doubled sealed bearings that actually have a rubber seal that rubs on the rotating part of the bearing and keeps the dirt out? Also the factory bearings have a C3 designation for use at elevated temperatures where the internal clearances are greater so they don't seize up. Any experiences you want to share would be appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Scott

My experience in the motor repair business tell me that sealed bearings will only seal out fluids less than 1800 RPM. Faster than that they will act as a shielded bearing. I believe that the sealed bearings will still be ok to use but are not truly sealed at the speed the alternator will be spinning. C3 is also the proper fit. A more precision bearing will overheat and lock up.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 02:27 PM