Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ScooterD
Being the cheap SOB that I am and not needing a new alternator at the moment, I am rebuilding a spare that I had lying around.

The factory uses double shielded bearings where the shield does not actually contact the rotating part of the bearing, there is actually a small gap on the circumference. The 914 pumps air through the alternator via the fan shroud and over time pumps dirt into the bearings. Has anyone used doubled sealed bearings that actually have a rubber seal that rubs on the rotating part of the bearing and keeps the dirt out? Also the factory bearings have a C3 designation for use at elevated temperatures where the internal clearances are greater so they don't seize up. Any experiences you want to share would be appreciated. pray.gif

Scott

ericread
Your best bet is to purchase a new alternator...

Eric biggrin.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(ScooterD @ Oct 15 2009, 07:50 PM) *

Being the cheap SOB that I am and not needing a new alternator at the moment, I am rebuilding a spare that I had lying around.

The factory uses double shielded bearings where the shield does not actually contact the rotating part of the bearing, there is actually a small gap on the circumference. The 914 pumps air through the alternator via the fan shroud and over time pumps dirt into the bearings. Has anyone used doubled sealed bearings that actually have a rubber seal that rubs on the rotating part of the bearing and keeps the dirt out? Also the factory bearings have a C3 designation for use at elevated temperatures where the internal clearances are greater so they don't seize up. Any experiences you want to share would be appreciated. pray.gif

Scott

My experience in the motor repair business tell me that sealed bearings will only seal out fluids less than 1800 RPM. Faster than that they will act as a shielded bearing. I believe that the sealed bearings will still be ok to use but are not truly sealed at the speed the alternator will be spinning. C3 is also the proper fit. A more precision bearing will overheat and lock up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.