Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's official, fuch the /4...... I'm doing a six, I'm nuts, JP wins
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #1

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

So.... I got all these cool parts, straight trade, his junk for my junk.
Doesn't matter how I look at this, a big four adds almost 0 value to a 914, stick a six in and it's worth a lot more. Especially here in Canada!
I'm actually down sizing from a 2.7 T4 to a 2.0 six (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I got a 75 911S with 69T 2.0 engine and trans, plus four fuchs. I could break this and make a nice tidy profit, but I don't like to tempt fate. I think it would be bad karma to pass this up.
I only have 2 of the four fuchs right now but I'm asured I'll have the other 2 and an extra seized 911 engine. No info other than it's seized.

The engine has a lot of cool stuff on it 40IDA webers, a 69S dizzy, permatune and turbo lower covers. The guy also said it has "hot cams" so my fingers are crossed and maybe there's some more goodies in there. It turns over nice, lots of meat on my 215mm flywheel (nice) and the cam lobes look good. I'll be doing a rootworks special and will make most of my own parts. I was hoping to use the '75 5-bolt rear hubs, but I think it's the wrong year. I'll get a set of rears hubs off of Eric.

I have everything for a 2.7 nickies T4, I'm glad I haven't put it together because it now going in my bug. Almost like fate man, far out.

I have no money, but I have a whack (I had a whole other stroker engine for the bug) of nice T4 stuff that will be in the classifieds real soon. I'll be listing some stuff today (and later this week) here first before the samba!
I'll trade for /6 parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--
Cheers Mark

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

The boss telling me how to do it right!

He's a working boss though.....My 8 year old stripped out almost the whole 911 interior! Worked beside me all day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
sww914
post Oct 26 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

A 6 is a good engine. They routinely go 200K, big 4's don't do that very often.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Is the holes on the flywheel normal?

I know how the engine works and I'll do the work myself, but I will ask stupid questions.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Transmission is a 4 speed, it will be mated to a 914 5 speed and I'm putting this in my bug.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 26 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The holes are normal, it sounds like you have a nice project ahead of you.

I also agree that the -6 should be a lot more fun than the -4, and will last longer. A 2.0 liter S engine is quite peaky, but should give you a good time. It will bolt right up to the 914 transmission with that flywheel.

You will need headers, an engine mount, and will have to modify the oil cooler outlet. An oil tank and the necessary lines will also add to the cost.

Good luck with the project.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Oct 26 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #7

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sounds cool Mark, and it's awesome to see your son out there helping you out!

As the owner/driver of that same engine (essentially), I have to ask if you've ever driven one. Because for a short time I had a stock 2.0-4 and my six. Around town I actually felt the 4 was more fun to drive. My point is, doing a six conversion but only going to a 2.0 seems like an awful lot of time and money spent for a modest performance gain, and then really only at the top of the RPM range.

You've been around here a lot longer than I have, and I'd wager you've been around 914s FAR longer than I have, so don't take this all the wrong way if what I'm telling you is old news. But I did think it was worth mentioning, just in case you've never piloted a '69 2.0-6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'll pass along an idea that came to me by way of the same Eric you mention - doing some reversible mods to end up with a 2.2S might be a good option if you're going to be in there anyway.

Whatever direction you go, keep up the pics!

Reid
+Quote Post
messix
post Oct 26 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #8

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

if you can get that back glass outta there with out breaking it you'll get a good chuck of change for it i imagine!

and if your gonna do a rootwerx specail your gonna need to get set 2.7p/c and make it a screaming 2.5!
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 26 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #9

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 26 2009, 11:21 AM) *

The holes are normal

A 2.0 liter S engine is quite peaky, but should give you a good time.

Good luck with the project.

He has a 69T engine there with some goodies added. a 69S would be MFI not Webers. Hopefully the goodies add up to 130-140hp

T.C.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #10

that's what I do!

QUOTE(messix @ Oct 26 2009, 03:33 PM) *

if you can get that back glass outta there with out breaking it you'll get a good chuck of change for it i imagine!

and if your gonna do a rootwerx specail your gonna need to get set 2.7p/c and make it a screaming 2.5!

I mean I'm going to try to do this cheap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have the fab and rebuild skills. I can do the valve job myself etc. engine, tin mount I'll make. Been awhile but I've built a couple /6's before.

As for the engine, yes it's small oh well, too big will just get me in trouble. Up here we don't have much cheap 911 parts and several businesses scourer the want ads and scoop all the deals. I know that dizzy is worth $600.
They would break this deal up and ask a fortune for every little bit.

I didn't think the glass would be worth much? Just lay on your back and kick it out, but you have to have someone to catch BTDT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 26 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #11

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Just throw money.

A '69T motor is 110 HP @ 5800 RPM.

A true '69S engine is 170 HP @ 6800 RPM.

A 2.7 is 165 HP stock @ 5800 RPM, a better case, etc. Sorry, noticed it was a 2.7 /4.
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Oct 26 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,635

Get er done! Then set your sights on Moncton, we can go for lobster and beer! Missed out on you visiting me last time you were down this way, can't let it happen again, you know I am alone here in muscle car country! Starting to organize a Porsche/Moncton group to go to the former "British cars only" car show in PEI which has opened up to anyone, and it is not a muscle car show. Moncton hosts Canada's largest car show and it is great but I like the smaller show in PEI as it is sports cars, plus the ride over is hard to beat. Interested??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

PS: I am sure you are going to have a real nice car when you are done and I look forward to seeing it.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Oct 26 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #13

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

It'll be a blast! I have one of each and love them both; the 2.2 motor will be replaced this winter with a 3.2 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Let me know if you need any parts; I have an almost new pair of Marty Schneider's (MSDS) headers on mine but they'll be too small on the 3.2; not sure what I'll do with the Webers either - I'm leaning towards keeping the FI on the 3.2

Upgrade the tensioners while you're at it.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 26 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

How is the dash and other interior bits from the 911, I may be interested.

Ferg
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #15

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 26 2009, 04:55 PM) *

How is the dash and other interior bits from the 911, I may be interested.

Ferg

Dash is cracked, the car is pretty beat up, no front, doors, visors and the interior is real dirty, I have all the little bits and most of the dash switches, but I'm keeping the gauges. PM me your wants and make a fair offer.

I'm not marrying this engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) it's a stepping stone like the 2.2 in MDG's car.
It's worth a few bucks more (at trade time) if it's a running engine up here. It could be junk, I'm looking to fix the tensioner maybe a top end job and rings. Anymore and I'll reevaluate the situation.

I'm not jumping like a mad man, I have 6 months. Lot's of time to find more deals and make fair trades. I don't have time to tear into the engine till next month.

My teen is a narrow body street car, the odd AX and maybe some day a 3.0.
I was thinking just M calipers (which I have) and Erics V caliper kits.
Now the '75 rear brakes I have, are they any good to me? I have the fab skills These look pretty clean and I know 911 guys are looking to this upgrade because of the AL arms.

Bunch of this 911 stuff I have no clue on the value and will have to do some research. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 26 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #16

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I don't win, you do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Oct 26 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #17

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914

I think that is great Mark!!
a nuther six! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 26 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #18

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Mark, I have some special tools you can use when you start goofing with the cams (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #19

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 26 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Mark, I have some special tools you can use when you start goofing with the cams (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks Doc
I sold the correct factory cam bolt wrench last year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I barely remember the first 2.4 I did, been a long time. I made the locator pin tool out of an old nail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 26 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #20

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 26 2009, 09:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 26 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Thanks Doc
I sold the correct factory cam bolt wrench last year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I barely remember the first 2.4 I did, been a long time. I made the locator pin tool out of an old nail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Spark plug fits perfectly.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I bought a pair of digital indicators from Harbor (OOPS.. sorry you are in Canada so Harbour) Freight. That way I didn't have to switch them from side to side. They were 39.00 US each.

I don't own the cam wrenches, but I can borrow them anytime I need them..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The only problem with a six is that once you have one, you want a bigger one!!

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 06:18 AM