Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's official, fuch the /4...... I'm doing a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mark Henry
So.... I got all these cool parts, straight trade, his junk for my junk.
Doesn't matter how I look at this, a big four adds almost 0 value to a 914, stick a six in and it's worth a lot more. Especially here in Canada!
I'm actually down sizing from a 2.7 T4 to a 2.0 six screwy.gif

I got a 75 911S with 69T 2.0 engine and trans, plus four fuchs. I could break this and make a nice tidy profit, but I don't like to tempt fate. I think it would be bad karma to pass this up.
I only have 2 of the four fuchs right now but I'm asured I'll have the other 2 and an extra seized 911 engine. No info other than it's seized.

The engine has a lot of cool stuff on it 40IDA webers, a 69S dizzy, permatune and turbo lower covers. The guy also said it has "hot cams" so my fingers are crossed and maybe there's some more goodies in there. It turns over nice, lots of meat on my 215mm flywheel (nice) and the cam lobes look good. I'll be doing a rootworks special and will make most of my own parts. I was hoping to use the '75 5-bolt rear hubs, but I think it's the wrong year. I'll get a set of rears hubs off of Eric.

I have everything for a 2.7 nickies T4, I'm glad I haven't put it together because it now going in my bug. Almost like fate man, far out.

I have no money, but I have a whack (I had a whole other stroker engine for the bug) of nice T4 stuff that will be in the classifieds real soon. I'll be listing some stuff today (and later this week) here first before the samba!
I'll trade for /6 parts biggrin.gif

--
Cheers Mark
Mark Henry
The boss telling me how to do it right!

He's a working boss though.....My 8 year old stripped out almost the whole 911 interior! Worked beside me all day. aktion035.gif
sww914
A 6 is a good engine. They routinely go 200K, big 4's don't do that very often.
Mark Henry
Is the holes on the flywheel normal?

I know how the engine works and I'll do the work myself, but I will ask stupid questions.
Mark Henry
Transmission is a 4 speed, it will be mated to a 914 5 speed and I'm putting this in my bug.
GeorgeRud
The holes are normal, it sounds like you have a nice project ahead of you.

I also agree that the -6 should be a lot more fun than the -4, and will last longer. A 2.0 liter S engine is quite peaky, but should give you a good time. It will bolt right up to the 914 transmission with that flywheel.

You will need headers, an engine mount, and will have to modify the oil cooler outlet. An oil tank and the necessary lines will also add to the cost.

Good luck with the project.
Lavanaut
Sounds cool Mark, and it's awesome to see your son out there helping you out!

As the owner/driver of that same engine (essentially), I have to ask if you've ever driven one. Because for a short time I had a stock 2.0-4 and my six. Around town I actually felt the 4 was more fun to drive. My point is, doing a six conversion but only going to a 2.0 seems like an awful lot of time and money spent for a modest performance gain, and then really only at the top of the RPM range.

You've been around here a lot longer than I have, and I'd wager you've been around 914s FAR longer than I have, so don't take this all the wrong way if what I'm telling you is old news. But I did think it was worth mentioning, just in case you've never piloted a '69 2.0-6. smile.gif

I'll pass along an idea that came to me by way of the same Eric you mention - doing some reversible mods to end up with a 2.2S might be a good option if you're going to be in there anyway.

Whatever direction you go, keep up the pics!

Reid
messix
if you can get that back glass outta there with out breaking it you'll get a good chuck of change for it i imagine!

and if your gonna do a rootwerx specail your gonna need to get set 2.7p/c and make it a screaming 2.5!
carr914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 26 2009, 11:21 AM) *

The holes are normal

A 2.0 liter S engine is quite peaky, but should give you a good time.

Good luck with the project.

He has a 69T engine there with some goodies added. a 69S would be MFI not Webers. Hopefully the goodies add up to 130-140hp

T.C.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(messix @ Oct 26 2009, 03:33 PM) *

if you can get that back glass outta there with out breaking it you'll get a good chuck of change for it i imagine!

and if your gonna do a rootwerx specail your gonna need to get set 2.7p/c and make it a screaming 2.5!

I mean I'm going to try to do this cheap biggrin.gif

I have the fab and rebuild skills. I can do the valve job myself etc. engine, tin mount I'll make. Been awhile but I've built a couple /6's before.

As for the engine, yes it's small oh well, too big will just get me in trouble. Up here we don't have much cheap 911 parts and several businesses scourer the want ads and scoop all the deals. I know that dizzy is worth $600.
They would break this deal up and ask a fortune for every little bit.

I didn't think the glass would be worth much? Just lay on your back and kick it out, but you have to have someone to catch BTDT smile.gif
SLITS
Just throw money.

A '69T motor is 110 HP @ 5800 RPM.

A true '69S engine is 170 HP @ 6800 RPM.

A 2.7 is 165 HP stock @ 5800 RPM, a better case, etc. Sorry, noticed it was a 2.7 /4.
Ian Stott
Get er done! Then set your sights on Moncton, we can go for lobster and beer! Missed out on you visiting me last time you were down this way, can't let it happen again, you know I am alone here in muscle car country! Starting to organize a Porsche/Moncton group to go to the former "British cars only" car show in PEI which has opened up to anyone, and it is not a muscle car show. Moncton hosts Canada's largest car show and it is great but I like the smaller show in PEI as it is sports cars, plus the ride over is hard to beat. Interested??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

PS: I am sure you are going to have a real nice car when you are done and I look forward to seeing it.
MDG
It'll be a blast! I have one of each and love them both; the 2.2 motor will be replaced this winter with a 3.2 smile.gif Let me know if you need any parts; I have an almost new pair of Marty Schneider's (MSDS) headers on mine but they'll be too small on the 3.2; not sure what I'll do with the Webers either - I'm leaning towards keeping the FI on the 3.2

Upgrade the tensioners while you're at it.
Ferg
How is the dash and other interior bits from the 911, I may be interested.

Ferg
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 26 2009, 04:55 PM) *

How is the dash and other interior bits from the 911, I may be interested.

Ferg

Dash is cracked, the car is pretty beat up, no front, doors, visors and the interior is real dirty, I have all the little bits and most of the dash switches, but I'm keeping the gauges. PM me your wants and make a fair offer.

I'm not marrying this engine sheeplove.gif it's a stepping stone like the 2.2 in MDG's car.
It's worth a few bucks more (at trade time) if it's a running engine up here. It could be junk, I'm looking to fix the tensioner maybe a top end job and rings. Anymore and I'll reevaluate the situation.

I'm not jumping like a mad man, I have 6 months. Lot's of time to find more deals and make fair trades. I don't have time to tear into the engine till next month.

My teen is a narrow body street car, the odd AX and maybe some day a 3.0.
I was thinking just M calipers (which I have) and Erics V caliper kits.
Now the '75 rear brakes I have, are they any good to me? I have the fab skills These look pretty clean and I know 911 guys are looking to this upgrade because of the AL arms.

Bunch of this 911 stuff I have no clue on the value and will have to do some research. rolleyes.gif
J P Stein
I don't win, you do. biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
I think that is great Mark!!
a nuther six! piratenanner.gif
Dr Evil
Mark, I have some special tools you can use when you start goofing with the cams smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 26 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Mark, I have some special tools you can use when you start goofing with the cams smile.gif

Thanks Doc
I sold the correct factory cam bolt wrench last year headbang.gif

I barely remember the first 2.4 I did, been a long time. I made the locator pin tool out of an old nail lol-2.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 26 2009, 09:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 26 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Thanks Doc
I sold the correct factory cam bolt wrench last year headbang.gif

I barely remember the first 2.4 I did, been a long time. I made the locator pin tool out of an old nail lol-2.gif

Spark plug fits perfectly.... biggrin.gif

I bought a pair of digital indicators from Harbor (OOPS.. sorry you are in Canada so Harbour) Freight. That way I didn't have to switch them from side to side. They were 39.00 US each.

I don't own the cam wrenches, but I can borrow them anytime I need them..... biggrin.gif

The only problem with a six is that once you have one, you want a bigger one!!

MDG
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 27 2009, 12:36 AM) *

I bought a pair of digital indicators from Harbor (OOPS.. sorry you are in Canada so Harbour) Freight.

biggrin.gif

Actually it would be Princess Auto; no Harbo(u)r Freight up here. PA is the same kind of place, same kind of stuff. Thoughtful spelling on Clay's part though so as not to confuse.
Man, 914World is so multilingual.

Mark, further to our PMs; I have upper and lower turbo valve covers - lowers ground for a 914. Before I get rid of it I could put the old ones back on the 2.2 if you need them.

mike.
Mark Henry
Yep Princess Auto is our harbo(u)r freight. Dr.Evil was very interested in their "Power Fist" line of products biggrin.gif
Yes I will want bigger, but I'll have an engine to sell (or trade) and my teen will be set up for a six.

I have lower turbo covers on it but they have not been modified, if you would rather have unmodified covers on the engine for sale I'd do a straight trade.

Don't know if the tops were done but they look like mag.
Mark Henry
Ummmm....does a 69T 2.0 have birail (sp?) cylinders. confused24.gif These are AL on the outside.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 27 2009, 08:26 AM) *

Ummmm....does a 69T 2.0 have birail (sp?) cylinders. confused24.gif These are AL on the outside.

Nope.. a 69 T would have had a set of cast iron cylinders. Something is different inside that motor.

Dr Evil
If this engine ends up being something special you really need to get some lottery tickets rolleyes.gif

POWER FIST!
Mark Henry
I was told that this engine has "hot cams" so who knows???? confused24.gif

I am NOT doing or buying anything till I tear the top end down. Just fished a nut out of an intake so that's a must.

So far.... 40 webers, turbo covers, 69S dizzy and now the cylinders shades.gif

Mike want to split on that ticket? idea.gif BTW I have the door stay pins but not the switch. I'll mail you the pins... biggrin.gif
JazonJJordan
Good boy~ got to start them young, eh? laugh.gif

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 26 2009, 12:07 PM) *

He's a working boss though.....My 8 year old stripped out almost the whole 911 interior! Worked beside me all day. aktion035.gif

Mark Henry
QUOTE(JazonJJordan @ Oct 27 2009, 11:19 AM) *

Good boy~ got to start them young, eh? laugh.gif

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 26 2009, 12:07 PM) *

That's MY boy!

Just been told by the other boss to get the fuch off the computer and do some work! So I got to go.

Hey Evil one like the new avatar? biggrin.gif

MDG
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 27 2009, 08:51 AM) *

Dr.Evil was very interested in their "Power Fist" line of products biggrin.gif

Well, if the good Doctor leaning towards gynecology or proctology he might want to keep that fact under wraps . . .

either way blink.gif
Mark Henry
This engine has been loved wub.gif

Da wife is going to kill me for messing with this but...this is an old school performance engine huh.gif

I scoff at the guys who flipped their noses and said "too small it's junk". Running nice some 69T owner might be interested. I'll get that 3.0 yet.

Where are the cam numbers?
This has 03 on the end, the "0" has a slash through it.
It looks clean inside......BTW with the smallest birail cylinder what size am I now?

I can't do it now mad.gif and I can't wait for the weekend! beerchug.gif
NS914
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Oct 26 2009, 05:35 PM) *

Get er done! Then set your sights on Moncton, we can go for lobster and beer! Missed out on you visiting me last time you were down this way, can't let it happen again, you know I am alone here in muscle car country! Starting to organize a Porsche/Moncton group to go to the former "British cars only" car show in PEI which has opened up to anyone, and it is not a muscle car show. Moncton hosts Canada's largest car show and it is great but I like the smaller show in PEI as it is sports cars, plus the ride over is hard to beat. Interested??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

PS: I am sure you are going to have a real nice car when you are done and I look forward to seeing it.

Hi Ian,

I thought I better jump in and let you know I am in Nova Scotia (Dartmouth) as well, of course, only a few hours away.

We will have to get together soon. I have a 74 with flares, five bolts, and Webbers (40's) No, it is not on the road yet but, have been working at it. Hope to be running next summer for sure.

Regards,

Grant
Ian Stott
Excuse the hijack Mark, I look forward to meeting you grant! Nice to have some more Maritimers, in the group. I have a few parts from my parts car so if you need something let me know it may be something I have.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SLITS
Mark .... the '69S had Biral cylinders. Aluminum fins and iron barrel. You might have gotten a damn good set up. If the pistons are highly domed with deep cuts for valve reliefs, you would have the '69S / 906 P & Cs. Peaky, but about 170+ on the HP.
Mark Henry
Ron
Thank you, very cool indeed smoke.gif

I'm going to get some archeological gear ready smile.gif
Mark Henry
How does one guy get this out of his garage? confused24.gif
Mark Henry
Well you use the corect Porsche factory tool P T2 popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
Slid it on nice and neat....
Mark Henry
Bring out the dead!
SLITS
They side nice with a winch. A forklift is much better. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hopefully, your pistons and cylinders will resemble these.
Mark Henry
Very cool smoke.gif

guess I shouldn't be smash.gif
Ian Stott
Hey Mark, what are your plans for that Ghia? A good friend is looking for one, it doesn't even have to have an engine, although he might need the tranny.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Mark Henry
You wouldn`t like the price smile.gif not for sale.
Mark Henry
Well the good luck had to end, not a 69S. sad.gif

It has 2.2T heads so now it's a 2.2....I think rolleyes.gif

Now seeing as it's just a bastardized 2.2, if it has compression I'm going to try and fire it up. huh.gif
Justinp71

Awesome! driving.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 29 2009, 11:20 PM) *

Well the good luck had to end, not a 69S. sad.gif

It has 2.2T heads so now it's a 2.2....I think rolleyes.gif

Now seeing as it's just a bastardized 2.2, if it has compression I'm going to try and fire it up. huh.gif

T and E heads are the same, but the cylinders and pistons are not. E has more compression and more cam......
campbellcj
If it has MFI drive on the cam then you can figure it's either an E or S cam. 2.2S pistons with 2.2E cams would be a nice combo.

Sorry for the slight hijack, but does anybody know a way to tell externally (without tearing down) between E and S cams? I have a similar 'mystery motor' that I just pulled out of my car and I'm curious what the heck is in it. It's a factory -6 engine that was reportedly built with some 2.2S parts but details are minimal.
sixnotfour
The best way to get an idea of the cam (without tearing it apart) is to check the lift at overlap.
Mark Henry
I haven't had time to do a compression test, but I cleaned the engine the other night, 8 hours of huffing fumes. I've giving the engine the nickname "The Little Bastard™" as it is an odd ball.
Tried to mount it on the engine stand but most of the studs are pulled and need repair...core again right?

Well I then examined the head studs, they are fine, in fact they all have case savers. The exhaust and intakes ports suggest a well running engine.idea.gif

I borrowed all the gear for setting the cams from MikeG so I'll dig into it further very soon. "Hot cams" is what I was told and so far The Little Bastard™ has been full of surprises. I'll be hitting you guys up for some help on scoping out the cam.

No MFI drive.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Nov 1 2009, 11:27 AM) *

If it has MFI drive on the cam then you can figure it's either an E or S cam. 2.2S pistons with 2.2E cams would be a nice combo.

Sorry for the slight hijack, but does anybody know a way to tell externally (without tearing down) between E and S cams? I have a similar 'mystery motor' that I just pulled out of my car and I'm curious what the heck is in it. It's a factory -6 engine that was reportedly built with some 2.2S parts but details are minimal.

Acutally, T cams have the MFI drive too... They didn't change to CIS until 73.5, and that was a 2.4L.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 1 2009, 02:00 PM) *

I haven't had time to do a compression test, but I cleaned the engine the other night, 8 hours of huffing fumes. I've giving the engine the nickname "The Little Bastard™" as it is an odd ball.
Tried to mount it on the engine stand but most of the studs are pulled and need repair...core again right?

Well I then examined the head studs, they are fine, in fact they all have case savers. The exhaust and intakes ports suggest a well running engine.idea.gif

I borrowed all the gear for setting the cams from MikeG so I'll dig into it further very soon. "Hot cams" is what I was told and so far The Little Bastard™ has been full of surprises. I'll be hitting you guys up for some help on scoping out the cam.

No MFI drive.

Best way to tell is to measure the lift on the cams. It is listed in the Pelican Dude's book on 911 engines.

And aftermarket cams are available with and without MFI drive.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 1 2009, 09:37 PM) *

Best way to tell is to measure the lift on the cams. It is listed in the Pelican Dude's book on 911 engines.

And aftermarket cams are available with and without MFI drive.

Don't have that book...but measuring lift is easy enough.

Are these struts and hubs OK?
71T struts and hubs off of a '67
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.