Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's official, fuch the /4...... I'm doing a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mark Henry
I have been doing other stuff as well....

Pounded out some 911 side tin and turned it into 914/6 tin, still have to fix the tails.
Nice when you have good templates biggrin.gif

I also have everything except the sway-a-way axles to do Eric Shea's 911 CV conversion. Larger CV's, 10mm bolt, look for it in the classics, Eric's da man!
911, 901 trans flanges and new boots not shown, but I have them as well.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 10 2009, 07:43 AM) *

Gee thanks JP..... drooley.gif

Problem is I have to whore a whole boatload of type 4, 914 and bug parts before I have the cash for this money pit. smile.gif

Heh...
I've been whorin' parts to pay for my MR2 turbo redo into an SCCA C Stocker.
Found 6 & 7 X 15 (stock size) wheels for 100 bucks....hell, the shipping is more than the wheels. Bilstein strut prices are like Porsche price, tho......same with tiars.
The good news is that is all I can do per the rule book.....wait.... cat back exhaust for weight loss..... & noise, of course, gotta have lots'o noise to fit in with the ricer crowd, eh.
SLITS
I'm thinking of turbocharging the Gayman.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 10 2009, 02:46 PM) *

I'm thinking of turbocharging the Gayman.

Naaa..... Bridgeported 13B. aktion035.gif
Mark Henry
Here is the autopsy report on the 2.0, number two rod bearing was delaminating and would have spun if driven much longer. Number 6 piston broke a skirt, may have been the the rod bearing (don't see it) or it just went at the right time. Journal may clean up at 1st under. The journal or rod didn't turn blue.

The crank spins smooth in the case and has .006 endplay.
J P Stein
Don't bother with the crank. U/S bearings are priced like Platinum. It's much cheaper to buy a std/std crank.....I did the deed bout 10 years back and the U/S bearings were about the same price as the std. When I rebuilt the thing a couple years back... w00t.gif ...my perfect .010 under crank might now be a good lamp post.
Mark Henry
These arrived today smile.gif

ClayPerrine
You can have the set of 2.4T pistons and cylinders I have for the cost of shipping. I just finished upgrading my 2.4 to S spec.

That would make a 2.2L engine.
sixnotfour
That would make a 2.2L engine.

very low compression
Mark Henry
Thanks Clay! guys like you make this site great!
I have a plan (I think) so I'll let you know.

I couldn't mount the engine on a stand so I did the down and dirty on the bench. barf.gif
I still have to clean the oily mess, at least it's a steel top.

The case looks good and has casesavers and the journals show no signs of wear
The bad is no piston squirter's and a couple of mount studs need timeserts. Came apart easy, but how the heck do you get the pressure switch and thermostat off?

The crank is worn, but would clean up at 1st under, so I guess it's scrap dry.gif

Still have to spec it out. I torqued the head studs to 26lbs before tear down, I had a few loose heads but it torqued up fine. Found the bits of Piston skirt on top of the screening, so I don't think any bit's got through.

I guess now that I'm this far I'll have to find a manual for some specs rolleyes.gif
wobbletop
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 12 2009, 09:31 PM) *

Came apart easy, but how the heck do you get the pressure switch and thermostat off?

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
My sender has a great big can, can't get the thermostat past it or a wrench on it.
SLITS
Strap wrench around the sender.
Dr Evil
Hey Mark,
I have those bell housing engine stand adapters if you want one. It would make working on that thing much easier. Also, as much as I think Wayne Dempsey is a deush, his 911 engine book is worth it for a rebuild and is available at pelican. If you are a real cheap SOB I can lend you my copy. PM me if you are interested.

And strap wrench the sender like SLITS said. Duh, you call yourself a mechanic poke.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 13 2009, 01:40 PM) *

Hey Mark,
I have those bell housing engine stand adapters if you want one. It would make working on that thing much easier. Also, as much as I think Wayne Dempsey is a deush, his 911 engine book is worth it for a rebuild and is available at pelican. If you are a real cheap SOB I can lend you my copy. PM me if you are interested.

And strap wrench the sender like SLITS said. Duh, you call yourself a mechanic poke.gif

I just don't like putting the vicegrips to a sender smash.gif ...oh slits said strap wrench, not vicegrips....

Got it apart without a manual biggrin.gif

I do have a factory engine manual here somewhere, can't find it of course rolleyes.gif
Yes I am a CSOB and I might be able to borrow the book here...save me postage ...'cause I'm CSOB.

The case has a couple bad mounting studs, that's why I did it on a bench.
Mark Henry
I've been busy wheeling and dealing smile.gif

Ok thru an excellent head and cam deal from Bob Burton my engine is now a 69S (not CW) and if I was to build it I would bump it up to a 2.2. Bob told me it's cool if I had to sell/trade this stuff to move up.

The cams are 67S and I already have a deal in place to trade for a new regrind, my choice of mod E or solex grind. Seems the local guru grinds new cams and would like these for his collection.

But look at this,
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ebuild-kit.html

It's mine, but it's tenitive and I can back out if it's a dog, plus it was suppose to be a early 75. Semi local, about a 5 hour round trip.

It's a late 75S but the kick in the nuts it had thermo reactors. barf.gif
The owner said it ran great, didn't leak oil, then it lost compression in one cylinder.
He was going to rebuild it then a 3.2 came his way.
No casesavers, perfect studs, in other words it needs casesavers.
7 cylinders, but one is damaged and the the "replacement" is a wrong one.
I get all, except the intake, for less than the price of the new parts

So what would you do?
I know were there is a another part core maybe two. I will have to sell or trade one engine for sure.

When I go look at this thing what should I look for?
91I specific, I have advanced machine shop knowledge and plan to measure the STD/STD crank.

What size thread is the stud/casesaver?

cheers
driving.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 18 2009, 12:18 AM) *

I've been busy wheeling and dealing smile.gif

Ok thru an excellent head and cam deal from Bob Burton my engine is now a 69S (not CW) and if I was to build it I would bump it up to a 2.2. Bob told me it's cool if I had to sell/trade this stuff to move up.

The cams are 67S and I already have a deal in place to trade for a new regrind, my choice of mod E or solex grind. Seems the local guru grinds new cams and would like these for his collection.

But look at this,
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ebuild-kit.html

It's mine, but it's tenitive and I can back out if it's a dog, plus it was suppose to be a early 75. Semi local, about a 5 hour round trip.

It's a late 75S but the kick in the nuts it had thermo reactors. barf.gif
The owner said it ran great, didn't leak oil, then it lost compression in one cylinder.
He was going to rebuild it then a 3.2 came his way.
No casesavers, perfect studs, in other words it needs casesavers.
7 cylinders, but one is damaged and the the "replacement" is a wrong one.
I get all, except the intake, for less than the price of the new parts

So what would you do?
I know were there is a another part core maybe two. I will have to sell or trade one engine for sure.

When I go look at this thing what should I look for?
91I specific, I have advanced machine shop knowledge and plan to measure the STD/STD crank.

What size thread is the stud/casesaver?

cheers
driving.gif

Three questions.

WTF are you smoking up there?
What are you doing?
If you sell the small motor and cams...can we talk?

Rich
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2009, 12:24 AM) *

Three questions.

WTF are you smoking up there?
What are you doing?
If you sell the small motor and cams...can we talk?

Rich

We got the good shit,

confused24.gif

I promised the local guru 1st dibs...but I'll give you 2nd dibs.

brp986s
On page 1 you said you have no money. Now you're entertaining a 2.7. Building a stable 2.7 is going to be expensive and time consuming, plus you're getting into external oil cooler territory - another time consuming and expensive pita. Go back to the original plan. If Pelican is to be believed, u/s rod bearings are cheap. It's the u/s mains that are expensive. Maybe all you have to do is grind 1 journal and polish the rest on your 2.0 crank. If you go 2.2 w/ 2.0 heads they will need to be beveled.
Dr Evil
A 2.7 does not need to be expensive, or need a cooler necessarily. But if you are going to be going HP then yes, that is true with most any engine. I would go with the 2.2. Simple, fun, you have most of it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(brp986s @ Nov 18 2009, 06:55 PM) *

On page 1 you said you have no money. Now you're entertaining a 2.7.

I don't have any money....I got a shit load of nice parts to sell, the pain in the arse is getting stuff sold on time. Been playing and paying on a fine line.

Dr.Evil almost crapped himself when I showed some gears I've had for years and pulled out a NOS 1st gear slider.

I found 30 case savers today. smile.gif
r_towle
decaf bud!!

Rich
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2009, 07:30 PM) *

decaf bud!!

Rich

I fuching just quit smoking, ran out of weed, no booze ....caffienne is all I have. biggrin.gif
r_towle
getting alot more done now, arent you.

Rich
Dr Evil
av-943.gif

Mark, you type like a tweeker
Mark Henry
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 18 2009, 07:42 PM) *

getting alot more done now, arent you.

Rich

You betcha, plus 914 is not all, I've almost got my basement finished, installed 1000ft of flooring, drop ceiling done I'm finishing off some lights tonight.......

Did I also mention we cancelled the cable TV.....
Mark, you type like a tweeker

Is 24 cups of coffee in one day safe? confused24.gif
Millerwelds
Mark, I ran across this old post of yours in a thread titled "six vs. four, make a decision" Which begs the question; What happened to your penis? poke.gif
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jan 9 2010, 03:03 PM) *

Mark, I ran across this old post of yours in a thread titled "six vs. four, make a decision" Which begs the question; What happened to your penis? poke.gif
Click to view attachment

I hit fifty and it shrank. sad.gif

I lie, I'm only 48 and I still like to give the wife a hard time biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.