Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car wash problems-gaging interest., getting to much water down the grill
underthetire
post Nov 1 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

Gaging interest before I order. I want to make a magnetic "cover" out of sign material to cover my engine grill when I wash the car. This should keep a lot of water out of the engine bay, even just parked outside during a storm. I do have a sticker machine, so I will put the porsche name on it with "remove before flight". I have to buy a fair amount of the material to do even one, so if no one else is interested i probably won't do it. Thinking white material with red letters or red material with white letters. guessing somewhere around 20 bucks each.

PS i know a rain tray would solve it, but I don't like them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 1 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

oh, and could be made for the GT grills as well.
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Nov 1 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,815

I've got a GT grill and just installed it. For my first wash I covered the grill with plasitc bags.
I would be interested in your cover. I think it would need to extend just beyond the edges of the engine lid and perhaps cover the side vents in an effort to keep 95% of the water out.
Do you have a ball park price per cover? The bags were paid for and fairly effective.
PM me if this moves forward. I'll likely loose track of this thread.
-Rob
+Quote Post
flipb
post Nov 1 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't have much of a car washing issue, and still have the rain tray in place, but...

This sounds like it could be such a cool looking accessory if done well. If sticker design has no significant impact on cost, I'd suggest red with a black stripe and PORSCHE lettering exactly where it would be on the grille below, then the yellow "Remove before flight" caution across the bottom.

If I had photoshop skills - or photoshop - I'd try to mock it up.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 1 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

How would you compensate for the height of the letters on the grill? I am thinking that the magnetic stuff isn't that flexible and would be raised by the letters.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 1 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

I could mock one up in the software i use for the cutter/plotter, but i doubt i could transfer it to a program to post it. 2 color would be a little more work, i''d have tocheck. Guessing 20 for std and maybe 30 for a GT. (uses more magnet material.) could be less, probably not more. I just don't want to order multiple colors in the magnet material. Sticker color could be your choice of colors I have. Silver, black, red, orange, yellow, blue, green, fading blue, white.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 1 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 1 2009, 07:13 PM) *

How would you compensate for the height of the letters on the grill? I am thinking that the magnetic stuff isn't that flexible and would be raised by the letters.

Yes it would be raised by the letters. This is just a cover so you don''t have to worry during a car wash or storm. I'm not recomending driving around with it on. I gues you could if it was super cold out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 08:50 AM