Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car wash problems-gaging interest.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Gaging interest before I order. I want to make a magnetic "cover" out of sign material to cover my engine grill when I wash the car. This should keep a lot of water out of the engine bay, even just parked outside during a storm. I do have a sticker machine, so I will put the porsche name on it with "remove before flight". I have to buy a fair amount of the material to do even one, so if no one else is interested i probably won't do it. Thinking white material with red letters or red material with white letters. guessing somewhere around 20 bucks each.

PS i know a rain tray would solve it, but I don't like them.
underthetire
oh, and could be made for the GT grills as well.
tradisrad
I've got a GT grill and just installed it. For my first wash I covered the grill with plasitc bags.
I would be interested in your cover. I think it would need to extend just beyond the edges of the engine lid and perhaps cover the side vents in an effort to keep 95% of the water out.
Do you have a ball park price per cover? The bags were paid for and fairly effective.
PM me if this moves forward. I'll likely loose track of this thread.
-Rob
flipb
I don't have much of a car washing issue, and still have the rain tray in place, but...

This sounds like it could be such a cool looking accessory if done well. If sticker design has no significant impact on cost, I'd suggest red with a black stripe and PORSCHE lettering exactly where it would be on the grille below, then the yellow "Remove before flight" caution across the bottom.

If I had photoshop skills - or photoshop - I'd try to mock it up.
bigkensteele
How would you compensate for the height of the letters on the grill? I am thinking that the magnetic stuff isn't that flexible and would be raised by the letters.
underthetire
I could mock one up in the software i use for the cutter/plotter, but i doubt i could transfer it to a program to post it. 2 color would be a little more work, i''d have tocheck. Guessing 20 for std and maybe 30 for a GT. (uses more magnet material.) could be less, probably not more. I just don't want to order multiple colors in the magnet material. Sticker color could be your choice of colors I have. Silver, black, red, orange, yellow, blue, green, fading blue, white.
underthetire
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 1 2009, 07:13 PM) *

How would you compensate for the height of the letters on the grill? I am thinking that the magnetic stuff isn't that flexible and would be raised by the letters.

Yes it would be raised by the letters. This is just a cover so you don''t have to worry during a car wash or storm. I'm not recomending driving around with it on. I gues you could if it was super cold out. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.